Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2016 11:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ModulusArms]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
In reference to variable speed routers.  You can buy a speed control for about $25 if you have a router already that isn't variable.  I would also reccommend a foot switch as some routers have funnky switches and this allows you to keep both hands securely on the tool at all times.  JMHO from using routers for 30+ years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I used the Bosch PRV20 and can echo the complaints about the collet can slip if you don't make sure the end mill is fully seated and fully tightened down.

The adjustments on it I don't find troublesome, however there is a learning curve with it for sure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Would a full size plunge router work if it was built into a table? And will nfa billet lowers fit in your jig?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By z0n3d0u7:

Would a full size plunge router work if it was built into a table? And will nfa billet lowers fit in your jig?
View Quote

Yeah it could work but it would be very awkward and really not a good idea. I have a Bosch full size router mounted in a table and there's no way I would want to do it.

And yes the NFA billet will fit.  I have one and checked it against it already.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I used an old full size Craftsman, without a table and have completed both aluminum and poly receivers successfully, Sure, it's a bit bulky, but works fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
DEWALT DWP611 has been an absolute trooper.  I'm not in love with the friction depth adjustment, but it's fast and I use a sharpie to mark
it so I can see quickly if it moves.  Solid little tool.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the Makita, because it was the only variable speed trim router that was in stock at my nearby Home Depot at the time.  It works well and feels like a quality built tool, I am quite satisfied with it.  Price was right in the range stated.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By ModulusArms:
Yeah, We bought ours a Home Depot. I think that's the best option for a purchase at Home Depot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

I bought the Makita, because it was the only variable speed trim router that was in stock at my nearby Home Depot at the time.  It works well and feels like a quality built tool, I am quite satisfied with it.  Price was right in the range stated.

Yeah, We bought ours a Home Depot. I think that's the best option for a purchase at Home Depot.

FWIW you may want to try using Harbor Freight 20% off coupons at Home Depot.  Some of them will accept them, some will not.  For me there's 1 in the city that will, of course it's clear across it so it's 45min away.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

They are supposed to carry the Rigid one on the recommended list as well, but they were out of stock when I bought my Makita.  I will take your word for it, and consider myself fortunate if you say the Makita is better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
They are supposed to carry the Rigid one on the recommended list as well, but they were out of stock when I bought my Makita.  I will take your word for it, and consider myself fortunate if you say the Makita is better.
View Quote

You would have been well served either way. Personally the Ridgid is my favorite, but the boss likes the Makita. Both are excellent choices.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By maxxx93:

You would have been well served either way. Personally the Ridgid is my favorite, but the boss likes the Makita. Both are excellent choices.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maxxx93:

Maxx,

As usual... I am a little confused.

I thought that you guys were recommending a variable speed units and I see in this thread... " the Porter Cable 450 This is our favorite router. It is very rugged and feels study in your hands. Has a large base size. Can be found from $100-$120"

I followed your lead and purchased the Ridgid unit that was previously recommended because the PC laminate trimmer that I already owned was not variable speed. It appears when looking at the vague specs posted on the HD site that was liked to above, the PC 450 is not variable speed either.

From the HD website details of the 450.... "Variable Speed - No"
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-1-25-HP-Max-Torque-Compact-Router-450/203054718?cm_mmc=CJ-_-6151265-_-11210757&gclid=CNnBipfXkcoCFYIlHwodcFcA7w&gclsrc=aw.ds&AID=11210757&PID=6151265&SID=ij6zxu4t6z00b0av001rw&cj=true

When going to the Delta/PC website it says... Amps: 7.0 Amps, Power: 1.25 HP, No Load Speed: 27,000 rpm, Motor Diameter: 2.70 ", Collets: 1/4 ", Switch: Rocker, Base Dimension: 4.00 ", Weight: 4.1 lbs
http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=24107

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html?zoom_highlight=router+speed+control
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:41:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fatboy148] [#18]
Thanks for helping me with that Maxx. I thought I was loosing it!

Are you ever not at work?????

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html?zoom_highlight=router+speed+control
View Quote

Thank you....
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Fatboy148:
Thanks for helping me with that Maxx. I thought I was loosing it!

Are you ever not at work?????

View Quote

You can't pin that one on me.That was a miscommunication between two of the marketing weenies. LOL

You know me, I'm a Ridgid R24012 guy all the way.

If you don't see me around in the future, you will know that I got sacked for calling my boss a weenie LMAO
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You are correct. That was an oversight by us and we corrected it in the original post. I am attaching an image that shows the two routers side by side. The Dewalt has the variable speed dial at the top and an LED light. The Porter cable doesn't
View Quote

Do your guys easy jigs work for NFA billet 80s?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I picked up the porter cable 6435 at Menards for $85. It was on sale for $99 and they had an additional 15% bag sale last week. Waiting for my jig to attempt my first lower.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#27]
And you WERE recommending the Bosch, which I purchased.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
View Quote

As long as you are careful with the depth control and keep checking it, it should work fine...
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#29]

As long as you are careful with the depth control and keep checking it, it should work fine...

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

Yeah pretty much.  Here's all you have to do to ensure success....

1. Ensure the end-mill is bottomed out completely in the collet.

2. Ensure you have the collet as tight as you can get it

3. Ensure you have the depth adjustment fully seated into the find adjustment channel and have it tightened down fully.

If you experience ANY chatter stop the router and check your bit against the depth gauge provided with the jig.  If it didn't move then go back to milling.  If it did move adjust it back to where it should be and resume milling.  The depth will NOT change at all while in use UNLESS you experience chatter when milling so long as you have the collet tightened down fully (use both wrenches provided with the router).
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:41:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoftwareJanitor] [#30]
If you don't mind reconditioned (I know people who swear by reconditioned because they say at least they know someone checked it to make sure it worked)...

This place online has the Makita like I bought for $69 and free shipping:

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-makita-rt0701c-r-1-1-4-hp-compact-router/mktrrt0701c-r,default,pd.html?start=13&cgid=laminate-trimmers

I've never ordered from these guys so I can't say anything good or bad about the experience...  but I do like the Makita I bought at Home Depot...

Or they also have the Dewalt DWP611R for $99.99

http://www.reconditionedtools.com/factory-reconditioned-dewalt-dwp611r-premium-compact-router/dewrdwp611r,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=dewalt-routers
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#31]
If you don't mind reconditioned (I know people who swear by reconditioned because they say at least they know someone checked it to make sure it worked)...

This place online has the Makita like I bought for $69 and free shipping:

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-makita-rt0701c-r-1-1-4-hp-compact-router/mktrrt0701c-r,default,pd.html?start=13&cgid=laminate-trimmers

I've never ordered from these guys so I can't say anything good or bad about the experience...  but I do like the Makita I bought at Home Depot...

Or they also have the Dewalt DWP611R for $99.99

http://www.reconditionedtools.com/factory-reconditioned-dewalt-dwp611r-premium-compact-router/dewrdwp611r,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=dewalt-routers
View Quote
thanks!
I just picked up the Makita and a Ridgid reciprocating saw.

I think,I'm gonna try an 80% soon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: molar] [#33]
I can't recommend Porter Cable routers for milling 80 percent lowers.  I had the PCE6430 and sent it back due to the collet slipping and letting the end mill advance.  I tried the PCE6435 and experienced the same thing, so it is going back as well.  I bought the Makita from Home Depot and it has a much better overall design, especially the collet.  The only issue it that the range of adjustment is not as great as other routers so you will have to pull the end mill out of the collet a bit to mill out the trigger slot.  Also, the base size is on the smaller size and it doesn't have the clear base plate so it is more difficult to see what you are doing.  Also no led light.

The Dewalt DWP611 looks like it might be the ticket.  Does anyone have this router and if so, can you take a picture of the end of the collet?  I would like to see what the collet looks like before ordering one.  If one compares the collets on the rigid or porter cable router to the makita you will see what I am talking about.

ETA:  I looked at the Dewalt today while at Lowes.  I think I'll stick with the Makita.  I like the fact that it has wrench flats on the spindle in addition to the spindle lock feature.  I tighten the collet down using the spindle lock first and I am able to further tighten it by utilizing the wrench flats.  The collet holds the end mill so tight that I've had to grasp it with channelock pliers before to get it loose after removing the spindle/collet lock nut.  I ruined one lower with the porter cable before I realized the end mill was slipping in the collet, so I am anal about it now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#34]
The Ridgid R24012 works beautifully for this application. I have done several lowers with one with 0 collet issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I ordered the reman Makita from CPO a couple weeks ago. Their free shipping code wasn't working online so I called to order, quick process, super nice rep, they gave me free shipping and even had my order out the door in the same day. They have a warehouse in my area so I had my router the next day. Great experience. The Makita seems to be a very high quality tool and there is no sign of wear or use, all around happy. I'll be using CPO for sourcing my tools from now on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By suburbanlegend:

I ordered the reman Makita from CPO a couple weeks ago. Their free shipping code wasn't working online so I called to order, quick process, super nice rep, they gave me free shipping and even had my order out the door in the same day. They have a warehouse in my area so I had my router the next day. Great experience. The Makita seems to be a very high quality tool and there is no sign of wear or use, all around happy. I'll be using CPO for sourcing my tools from now on.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By suburbanlegend:

Glad I could help!  Seemed like a good deal so I thought I would pass it on to y'all!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#38]
So I read that you recommend a variable speed router,do you have a recommendation as to what speed to run it at?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Modulus Arms won't answer that question (what speed is ideal for the router).

I've asked that question myself.

I don't know the correct answer, but the fastest settings on my DeWalt seem to work the best.

G.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Blindeye:

I don't know the correct answer, but the fastest settings on my DeWalt seem to work the best.

G.
View Quote

The reason is because every router is slightly different and depending on how big a bite and how much pressure you apply to the router/bit it'll change the required speed.  You just have to play with the settings to see what works best.  Too fast and you can heat up the bit causing the aluminum chips to melt and stick to the bit (also will "gouge" into the aluminum on the receiver.).  Too slow and it'll stall and chatter really bad.  Even on my Bosch your speed settings don't directly correlate to a specific RPM range, I just adjusted mine till it felt and sounded like it was in the sweet spot
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#41]

CPO's are usually a good deal.
View Quote

Yup generally are.  Now if your local Home Depot or Lowes accepts HF 20% off coupons then they're not quite as good of a deal .

One thing you should never buy from CPO are Ridgid brand power tools because they are not eligible for Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) or warranty.  The discount from new pricing rarely makes it worth while.  I like Ridgid stuff specifically because of the LSA and warranty, but it's not the be all and end all.  I just move too often to have really nice tools which are likely to get damaged in the moving process.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

The reason is because every router is slightly different and depending on how big a bite and how much pressure you apply to the router/bit it'll change the required speed.  You just have to play with the settings to see what works best.  Too fast and you can heat up the bit causing the aluminum chips to melt and stick to the bit (also will "gouge" into the aluminum on the receiver.).  Too slow and it'll stall and chatter really bad.  Even on my Bosch your speed settings don't directly correlate to a specific RPM range, I just adjusted mine till it felt and sounded like it was in the sweet spot
View All Quotes

G.

I don't buy that argument.
Modulus arms recommends a particular router; they could simply say: "Setting 5 on the speed control is what we find the optimum for the Bosch router".
They won't even do that.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Modulus arms recommends a particular router; they could simply say: "Setting 5 on the speed control is what we find the optimum for the Bosch router".
They won't even do that.

View All Quotes

G.

They won't even do that.

The learning curve on a handheld router in regards to speed and feed rate is not something easily put into words
The sound and feedback is something that needs to be experienced more than once on any single project, (be it wood or metal) to achieve a satisfactory finish.

I really can't blame Modulus in this instance for not committing to an actual number setting. A $100 router, while able to achieve a decent milling job,  is certainly far from a precision tool.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveP1] [#44]

They won't even do that.

View Quote

Even within the same product line, no two rheostats will produce the same results and when milling aluminum a 100 RPM difference can be the difference between disaster and success.  Rarely will you ever see a company or experienced craftsman make recommendations based on the numbers of a speed wheel on an adjustable tool.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#45]

Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:
The learning curve on a handheld router in regards to speed and feed rate is not something easily put into words

The sound and feedback is something that needs to be experienced more than once on any single project, (be it wood or metal) to achieve a satisfactory finish.

I really can't blame Modulus in this instance for not committing to an actual number setting. A $100 router, while able to achieve a decent milling job,  is certainly far from a precision tool.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:

They won't even do that.

Exactly. If you have never used a router before you cannot quantify exactly how to use it in words fully. You just have to do it and feel the way the tool reacts in the material and by the sound of the bit cutting. It's kind of like MIG welding and when you have it set right it sounds like bacon frying in a pan (and sometimes well off the suggested settings). It's really not as ominous or hard as you're making it seem. I'm a dumb infantryman and I figured it out

If you are a very literal type of person who needs exact speeds and settings you will be much happier with a mill, DROs and a tachometer.  

If you insist on an unofficial recommendation for the rheostat setting for a Bosch Colt I used somewhere between 4 and 5. I also went as high as 6. It just depended on how much of a bite I wanted to take out of the material on each pass.  My buddy completed a few and he had to use different settings thanks using the exact same router and lowers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I just got an email from Lowe's showing the DeWalt DWP611, one of the Modulus "recommended" routers is on sale for $99, $40 off their normal $139 price.  If you bought it with a Lowe's card you would get an add'l 5% off that price so it would be around $95 and they also offer a 2 year replacement warranty for about $12 if you are concerned about the damage milling aluminum might cause.  Amazon has it for $110 so appears to be a pretty good price.  No personal experience with the unit but thought it was a good buy if one were to be interested in it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By zload:
I just got an email from Lowe's showing the DeWalt DWP611, one of the Modulus "recommended" routers is on sale for $99, $40 off their normal $139 price.  If you bought it with a Lowe's card you would get an add'l 5% off that price so it would be around $95 and they also offer a 2 year replacement warranty for about $12 if you are concerned about the damage milling aluminum might cause.  Amazon has it for $110 so appears to be a pretty good price.  No personal experience with the unit but thought it was a good buy if one were to be interested in it.
View Quote

Go to the Post Office and get a " moving packet" . Thy typically have a 10% off from Lowes coupon inside.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#49]

They won't even do that.

View All Quotes

G.

They won't even do that.

I've completed several lowers using first the original Modulus jig and the last couple with the new HD jig...  I'd have to agree with the people who say that what speed settings work best depend on the individual.  It really isn't that hard to play with it a little and figure out what works for you.

FWIW, on my Makita I've been running between 3 and 4.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Don't bottom out a router bit or end mill in a router collet. It needs some space for the bit to move back when tightening the collet, and if you bottom them out they will either not tighten correctly (resulting in automatic random height adjustment) or the bit will get stuck in the collet and will never come out.

Carbide end mills can be run at very high speed with no ill effect...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top