Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Moar!  Moar!  

Perhaps I've asked you before - have you considered making a combination lower/thumbhole stock out of wood?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Moar!  Moar!  

Perhaps I've asked you before - have you considered making a combination lower/thumbhole stock out of wood?
View Quote

Something like the KP-15?  Probably not.  That would be cool though, hogged out of walnut, over cut the potential weak spots, line it with fiberglass mat and re cut it.  Maybe a homemade laminate.
Hmmm....  

But no, I have too many other projects.  
I picked up yet another 32 rolling block and still have another with a broken tang that I've been putting off in hopes my tig welding skills would improve.  
I have a few parts kits including a Suomi, Sten, M-11 and other derringers, I'd like complete some day.  
I'm thinking I need to build another AK or 2 before there are too many issues with parts kits.
But the worst part is my self diagnosed ADD makes me jump deep into certain projects for seemingly no good reason.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I did not read all the pages, but keep machining and making stuff (firearms).
build build build, buy buy buy !

Get a 3D printer asap.

I have some grease, just not sure where to send it, DEF FTA IBF has a sit&spin with thorns, figured some lube (free of charge) can help.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Spent way too much time again making a $4 part.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#6]
Tried to fix my shitty welds on the take-down levers too.  Much better now.  Might still add some serrations or something.  A lot of finer touches to go.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice!  You gonna drill it & put a fiber optic bead in there?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Kit #2, build #4.  Got 2 more kits and a few more scrap builds partially started.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Where are you buying the kits?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#10]
Originally Posted By fox2008:
Where are you buying the kits?
View Quote

The parts kits are from Excalibur and the receiver flats are from the flat spot.  Flat spot sells on gunbroker, but I dealt direct.  Excalibur says they're going to get a website one day, but for now they're old school.  Gotta call em.  There are some second guys selling the kits on GB, but for about twice what they cost from Excalibur.   The single kits I got from one of the parts kit retailers, centerfire or Apex maybe, but those were cheap then.

ETA:  Single kits came from Centerfire a while ago.  $70ea.  Double and 22 pepper box direct from manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta put a video together for the 32.  Both extractors are working well.  

DIY Sheet Metal Derringers 22LR Homemade Guns
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#12]
Not much shop time, but got one done and another started.  

Brass might end up as 22 mag.  We'll see.  Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#13]
A bit more progress on the brass derringer I had shelved 6 months ago.  The barrel started out as 3/4 solid round stock (mystery stainless).  The only reason I went with hex over octagon was the first two I made had hex barrels.  Random drops from a local shop.   It may seem like a lot of work, but it was only about 2 hours from solid round to a chambered and rifled hex barrel.  

For anyone interested is the process, curiosity, or considering trying it yourself, I'll lay out the steps.
1. Drill end to end
2. Ream to correct bore size (for 22lr, the guide on my chamber ream is .2175, I happen to have a .2180 ream so that's what I use.
3. Chamber it.  For these, I try 3-4 different brands of loaded ammo and make sure none are proud of the barrel.  It can all be adjusted later if need be.
4. The rifling button will now drop through the chamber and engage the reamed barrel.  This keeps everything in line to start pushing the button.  The button and rods are all inside the barrel and supported.  
5. I typically plug the muzzle end with a paper towel.  Fill the barrel with oil, drop in the button, then the shortest push rod and start pushing.

One pass and done!  I'm R E A L L Y happy with how this one turned out.  The rifling specifically.  It looks great.  Not sure if it's the evolution of the process working out the kinks or the myster stainless just takes it well.  Either way, I like it.  

Spot the blank for support in the tailstock
Attachment Attached File

Starting the last flat
Attachment Attached File

It really does look chewed
Attachment Attached File

Through drill
Attachment Attached File

Chambered (turned by hand, I just use the lathe for alignment)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Chambered
Attachment Attached File

Basic tooling
Attachment Attached File

Start with the short push rods working up to the shortest one that will push the butto all the way through.  
Attachment Attached File

And push
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#15]
A slot to locate the barrel lug.
Attachment Attached File

Machined a rough lug
Attachment Attached File

I'm no good at tig welding, but I'm working in it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A fuzzy look at the rifling
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]
That rifling does look great!  I'm impressed and inspired by your work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good…I need to buy a couple of those kits.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#18]
A little of the "process" of getting it all working.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

The leinad kits are a good way to get started.  Testing the waters of building.  But these little scratch builds are fun.  I thought I'd like building them, but I really like shooting the 22's.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#20]
Hitting a bit of a wall.  I want a better latch for the break action.  Not a lot of room to work in there.  I'll figure out something.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

The leinad kits are a good way to get started.  Testing the waters of building.  But these little scratch builds are fun.  I thought I'd like building them, but I really like shooting the 22's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’ve got a mill / lathe / tig welder…I need a press to be able to do the rifling though. Seems like a good excuse to buy one
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]

I’ve got a mill / lathe / tig welder…I need a press to be able to do the rifling though. Seems like a good excuse to buy one
View Quote

Absolutely !  You might be able to get it done in a big vise, but yeah, a press had been on my list for a while.  Still want to change from air over hydraulic to electric, but for now, it gets the job done.  
I went all in.  I have rifling buttons for 22, 25, 30cal, 32, 9mm and 45.  I'll be building for a while.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Absolutely !  You might be able to get it done in a big vise, but yeah, a press had been on my list for a while.  Still want to change from air over hydraulic to electric, but for now, it gets the job done.  
I went all in.  I have rifling buttons for 22, 25, 30cal, 32, 9mm and 45.  I'll be building for a while.
View Quote

Nice…I’m still slowly tooling up, it’s a hobby for me, need to get some quality reamers next.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quite a bit of progress on the brass framed derringer.  Would have been more but too many other things to work on requiring my time.  

DIY Sheetmetal Derringers 22lr Homemade Guns v3
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't had much time in the shop lately.  Ive had a cold since New Year.  But I made a little more progress on this one.  Got a latch design I am really liking.  So far I don't see and any need/room for improvement in function.  Maybe something easier to make, but as is, it's not too difficult or time consuming.  

DIY Sheetmetal Derringers 22lr Homemade Guns v3 Latch in Detail

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Really slow going.  Between being sick and having too many other obligations, I just haven't had much shop time.  

I have another brass framed derringer in work.
Just started the barrel. The frame is finished on in shape, and the grips are close.  This one might carved up.  

DIY Sheetmetal Derringers 22lr Homemade Guns - Grips Profiled
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:08:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#27]
I haven't posted any updates in quite some time.  I have been in the shop though.  And the home office, as I've acquired a 3d printer (ok two).  

Trying to perfect the parts (non printed) making process of the FGC-9 as I gave the kids some materials to build their own.  Issues with barrel material supplies has pushed me back on the path of DIY barrel making.  While I've had some issues with the ebay buttons, I think I finally have a good full diy barrel.  

[youtube]shorts/loazs10CxhE[/youtube]

https://youtube.com/shorts/md6gd5IOZm0?feature=share

Maybe I'll get the Short linking figured out

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
The more money I spend, the more I think "I should have just spent 10 hours in the garage making that $40 part"    ok, one of these was a $80 part.  Not too pretty (yet) but it works.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#30]
More turning metal.  Hard to save money when it takes an hour to make two $40 parts.  But we're still learning

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

[youtube]shorts/010kyvjtWsM[/youtube]

ETA, one day I'll figure out the youtube shorts
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#31]
More end caps and thread adapters are on the list.  Once we're done with all those, a F1 can with the same threads will be in work.  Hell, should just start the paperwork now huh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#32]

DIY Suppressor Parts. Rugged Obsidian 45 Direct Thread Spacer #garagegunsmith
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#33]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010kyvjtWsM
View All Quotes

That spacer is probably heat treated 17-4 stainless.  An annealed spacer may pean with lots of use.  Not sure.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Noted!   Thanks.  I'll keep an eye on it for sure, but I think it will be ok.  The body on this is aluminum as it's not high pressure rated.  Basically straight wall and subsonic only.  The majority of my use with it will be as direct threaded 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Once I confirmed it worked, I had to do a little cosmetic work.  WAY to many hours on this, but the factory adapters are $80 ea.  I need at least two more.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
What thread pitch is that?  Single point threadding?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
What thread pitch is that?  Single point threadding?
View Quote

Single point yes.  I already forget the outside, 1-20 maybe.  The inside on the one I made is 5/8-24.  I need another in 5/8-32 for a 450bm.  

I'm not a machinist, but I just make both threads in a single setup and take light cuts.  Seems to work.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#38]
At some point it just becomes shenanigans right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an2Oy5KX14s
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not a machinist either, but I like to machine things.  I only have my lathe a little over a year now.  I love using it.  I recently got into making my own screws.  I will eventually do a Form 1 silencer, but I need to practice internal threadding.  I like seeing what other people are doing.  Your stuff looks great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:  At some point it just becomes shenanigans right?

https://youtube.com/shorts/an2Oy5KX14s?feature=share
View Quote

3d Printed GB-22 Mark Serbu's design converted to 3d printable #3dprinting #3dprintedguns
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I salute you OP!
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#42]
OP is definitely a craftsman!
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
OP is definitely a craftsman!
View Quote

@laxman09 thanks for the compliment.  Since you found this thread, the raw forging that is the beginning of this thread, yeah, that's the Can cannon you shot the other day.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#44]

@laxman09 thanks for the compliment.  Since you found this thread, the raw forging that is the beginning of this thread, yeah, that's the Can cannon you shot the other day.  
View Quote

I was telling my wife about all your creations and as I predicted, she wants a derringer
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#45]
Some other recent projects.  I have 100 in work, several that just didn't get the picture documentation to be post worthy but I hope some of this inspires other to take on a build of their own.

FGC-9 Bolts and firing pins
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#46]
Barrel making
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Even a manual H-frame press can push buttons.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:15:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#47]
Red White and Blue just in time for America's birthday celebrations.  

Attachment Attached File

And one of those scary black gun versions too
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Bravo Zulu.

Let us know how she holds up w/ the can.  Running 147 grn?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:30:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#49]
Bravo Zulu.

View Quote

Pretty good mix of seeds just for testing, 115gr AAC, Blazer and Tula, 124gr Blazer, Magtech and AAC but primarily 147gr AAC.

On a side note,  The $20 Amazon reddot and DIY barrel are surprisingly accurate.

ETA,
The all black one yeeted the buffer tube.  But the nested spring was half sideways jammed in the back.  Not sure if that was cause or effect, but noteworthy nonetheless.  I'd like to experiment with a hydraulic buffer and bufferless versions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Pretty good mix of seeds just for testing, 115gr AAC, Blazer and Tula, 12r Blazer, Magtech and AAC but primarily 147gr AAC.

On a side note,  The $20 Amazon reddot and DIY barrel are surprisingly accurate.

ETA,
The all black one yesterday the buffer tube.  But the nested spring was hald sideways jammed in the back.  Not sure if that was cause or effect, but noteworthy nonetheless.  I'd like to experiment with a hydraulic buffer and bufferless versions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Bravo Zulu.

Pretty good mix of seeds just for testing, 115gr AAC, Blazer and Tula, 12r Blazer, Magtech and AAC but primarily 147gr AAC.

ETA,
The all black one yesterday the buffer tube.  But the nested spring was hald sideways jammed in the back.  Not sure if that was cause or effect, but noteworthy nonetheless.  I'd like to experiment with a hydraulic buffer and bufferless versions.

Mods, could you move this post to the Remedial English forum?  
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top