Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 10:44:38 PM EDT
I'm building my dream light weight AR.

Im taking into serious consideration the amount a recoil while maintaining the lightest platform without sacrificing accuracy out to 300yds.  

My choice for a barrel for this build is Voodoo Innovations because they make the lightest barrels out there.  At least that I know of...(unless you know something lighter)

I was under the impression that a rifle length gas system could not be used on a 14.5" barrel because there is not enough real estate for the much gas tube, but when I look up the spec, the port distance on a rifle length barrel is 12".

Voodoo Innovations web links are screwed up which led me to ask for help.  

The link below is titled "16.5 barrel" and if you read the specs, they say it's a 14.5" but the title asserts it to be a rifle length gas port.  I dont know what is right.

If it is in fact a 14.5" with a rifle length gas port, well that is exactly what I want.   1.160lbs......or 18.56o with a rifle length port....  That is simply unheard  IMO.  

LINK: http://www.voodooinnovations.com/145-mid-length-750-evo-ultra-lite
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
and while i have this opened up for discussion.....I have also been keeping my eye out for a titanium buffer tube.  Does anyone know of a source?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this barrel in my rifle.
When I get home I will measure it for you and let you know how long it really is. I know that the muzzle brake is a few inches long, so I would not be to quick to dismiss this as a 14.5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If he doesn't give an update, just call them tomorrow. Realize though, if you call, you'll probably hang up with an order placed unless you decide you WILL NOT order while on the phone. A good money saving tactic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to place an order.  Im at a cross roads here big time though.

I want a rifle length gas system but if having rifle length means a 16" barrel then I am adding more weight and losing my ultimate goal of light weight and minimal recoil.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to place an order.  Im at a cross roads here big time though.

I want a rifle length gas system but if having rifle length means a 16" barrel then I am adding more weight and losing my ultimate goal of light weight and minimal recoil.
View Quote

I'd be surprised if it's rifle length, even on a 16".

That sounds very IFFY. Shortest people usually use a rifle length gas system is 18".
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a middy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I know voodoo makes a rifle length on a 16" because they offer a few completed uppers with that barrel and I cross referenced to double check the spec.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It is in fact 14.5 inches or so. The muzzle brake is just about 2 inches based on my tape maybe a little more.
As best I could get it is the 14.5 it suggests.
I have the Adam Arms C.O.R. 16.5" EvoLite upper and iI would say recoils is very minimal compared to a standard rifle.
It is a mid lenth gas system though and all my stuff is the voodoo lightened and lifecoated variety.
I have photos of them on my build thread if you wanted a more in depth look.
I can also get you photos of any angle or what not.
In my opinion (based on what I have read)
You will have to budge on if the rifle length is more important or if the weight favor is.
I don't think you can really have both without budging on another.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle length handguards are 12" inches in length, but the location of the gas port is 13" inches nominal from the bolt-face.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Well thanks for the input.  I have been doing my research for the better half of a month and finally ordered all the parts with listed weights.

Here is what I just bought online and if the online listed weights I dug up are correct...I have a really light weight rifle with some awesome gear on board:

UPPER
Faxon mid length 16" 1:8 barrel $149 / 19.04oz
BCM KMR 13" $270 / 7.7oz / 7.02oz W/ V7 barrel nut
Aero Precision upper W/O fwd assist & port door $115 / 6.5oz
Red X Arms titanium BCG $300 / 7.8oz
V7 Titanium .625 gas block $70 / .73oz
V7 Titanium Furion muzzle break $125 / 1.6oz
v7 Titanium Barrel nut $60 / .92oz
Mid length gas tube $20 / .8oz
Fortis charging handle $60 / 1.5oz

Upper totals $1,169 / 44.965 oz / 2.81 lbs

LOWER
JP rifles silent capture spring w/rifle length extension $ 140 / 8.3oz
Jame Madison Lower $99 / 5.2oz
Luth AR MBA stock $130 / 20.16oz
V7 Titanium bolth catch $27 / .30oz
V7 Titanium grip screw $5 / .11oz
V7 Titanium selector $49 / .29oz
Rifle length buffer tube $50 / 3.5oz
V7 Titanium end plate and castle nute $45 / .4oz
V7 Titanium take down pics $24 / .17oz
V7 Titanium mag release $28 / .16oz
Timney skeletonized 3lbs ull trigger $291 / 2.5oz
Magpul MOE grip $20 / 2.82oz

Lower totals $1,008 / 42.81 oz / 2.67 lbs

Total weight 5.48 lbs unloaded with out sights

total cost $2,177 w/o shipping cost.  This is my dream build.........

I could be around 4.5 lbs if I used a different stock such as the Rogers Super Stoc, but being able to have a fully modular precision stock and still be under 6lbs is definitely warranted in my book.

Hopefully ill have everything real soon so I can post pics.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm building my dream light weight AR.

Im taking into serious consideration the amount a recoil while maintaining the lightest platform without sacrificing accuracy out to 300yds.  

My choice for a barrel for this build is Voodoo Innovations because they make the lightest barrels out there.  At least that I know of...(unless you know something lighter)

I was under the impression that a rifle length gas system could not be used on a 14.5" barrel because there is not enough real estate for the much gas tube, but when I look up the spec, the port distance on a rifle length barrel is 12".

Voodoo Innovations web links are screwed up which led me to ask for help.  

The link below is titled "16.5 barrel" and if you read the specs, they say it's a 14.5" but the title asserts it to be a rifle length gas port.  I dont know what is right.

If it is in fact a 14.5" with a rifle length gas port, well that is exactly what I want.   1.160lbs......or 18.56o with a rifle length port....  That is simply unheard  IMO.  

LINK: http://www.voodooinnovations.com/145-mid-length-750-evo-ultra-lite
View Quote

That barrel is a mid-length.  They also have a 16.5 and 18 barrel with the same profile that are both rifle length.  Their product descriptions and titles are screwed up for the 14.5 and 18.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top