Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:58:20 PM EDT
I was recently looking at handguards for a carbine build, and noticed that ATI states their handguards are manufactured in the USA.  I know they have had a bad rap in the past for poor quality, but I was wondering if they are any better than they used to be? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It's got a 4-star rating on MidWayUSA. Looks pretty decent to me. I would still spend the extra cash and get a Seekins/Spike's BAR or SAR. I have the 13" BAR and have served me well so far.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've also been looking at the Troy Alpha and have been kind of leaning that way from the get-go.  Just trying to make sure I cover all my options.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased 3 of their products in 2014 (2 forends and 1 pistol grip) and the quality was fine but I had major fitting problems with both forends. The first one I purchased, I decided to modify and it worked fine; the second one, I decided to return.

I know you didn't ask about their company but I will give you this info anyways... Their customer service is excellent but I would stay away from ATI. They don't spent much time testing their products before releasing them to consumers. Look at their new X2 Scorpion Pistol Grip, for just one example. When installed, the shooter is unable to push on the mag release button (unless you have an extremely long index fingers) without major adjustments to the firing hand and that requires two hands on the weapon to do. I explained to them the design flaw via email and they replied by saying it was intentionally designed that way but gave no specific reason.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
i was also looking into buying a ATI 15"handguard for my build(its the only piece left i need to complete build) and after a while of looking at other options, although the price for ati is good, i kinda fell in love with the design that SLR Rifleworks has to offer in their Solo and Intrepid series handguards so most likely gonna get 1 of those  instead  just thought i'd throw that out there
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
i have the 15 inch one, it works but its kinda heavy... it was an impulse buy. now im trying to save up for slrs light weight one but i keep buying parts for my a5 build lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Roger that.  Thanks for the info.  I think I'll just save up a few more pennies and go with the Troy!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top