Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
Hi everyone just wondering which barrel is better brand is better gettin ready to order one for my recent build
Palmento state armory FN barrel or green mountain from what i read they are both gtg so which one would you guys recommend
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it boils down to how much accuracy you can afford. There are a lot of different barrels out there to choose from. Both of those companies have a good reputation. -W

ETA: What are you going to use it for Plinking? Competition matches? Sniper rifle? Home defense? M4gery?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok cool mosty home defense and plinking
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
But i would want it as accurately as possible
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Both excellent choices. You're splitting hairs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol yeah i know it thats y im havin a hard time deciding lol
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally I would go with a Green Mountain, and it has nothing to do with the FN barrel quality but the PSA gunsmithing quality control.

My son and myself have had quality issues with PSA's built uppers (canted sights, under or over torqued barrel nuts, etc).

We have also bought two 16" mid-length Green Mountain barrels, and they have been surprisingly accurate...very pleased with them.

I just don't trust PSA to properly assemble an upper for me anymore, I'd rather build it from parts myself, but PSA rarely makes their barrels available stripped and in quantity, so GM would be the way to go.

...but thats just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok cool thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok cool thanks
View Quote

PSA has a 16" M4 profile assembled upper with an FN CHF barrel for $280 shipped, right now.  You could sell the handguard, assembled upper, and FSB for around $100-150, and be in for $130-180 on arguably one of the best all purpose barrels available.   I have nothing against GM, but if I want an all purpose barrel, then an FN or DD CHF barrel is my only choice.  Literally.  I only own DD and FN CHF, CL barrels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want better accuracy stay away from a CHF barrel.  Take a look at AR 15 Performance barrels.  I have a couple of their barrels in 6.8 and they will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards when imdo my part and their 223/556 have proven accuracy also.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Green Mountain barrel. I'm using a 14.5" CM-M7 on my Spike's and am very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I would go with a Green Mountain, and it has nothing to do with the FN barrel quality but the PSA gunsmithing quality control.

My son and myself have had quality issues with PSA's built uppers (canted sights, under or over torqued barrel nuts, etc).

We have also bought two 16" mid-length Green Mountain barrels, and they have been surprisingly accurate...very pleased with them.

I just don't trust PSA to properly assemble an upper for me anymore, I'd rather build it from parts myself, but PSA rarely makes their barrels available stripped and in quantity, so GM would be the way to go.

...but thats just my $.02
View Quote
 WG:  I too can vouch for Green Mountain barrels.  So long as you want 5.56 caliber, they are an excellent value.  My first build was supposed to be a learning experience with low cost parts.  I picked a GM barrel (20", 1in8, chrome lined, govt profile) because it was inexpensive and I knew they had a track record with black powder barrels.  Right away I noticed the accuracy potential and switched to a free float handguard to take advantage.  Now that budget build is, with my pet load, far and away my most accurate rifle.  It can routinely print groups like this. - CW

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar-15-m16-m4-rifle-barrels/

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top