Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2014 10:52:25 PM EDT
Rather than rub somebody the wrong way could you share your recent positive experiences with anodized products.  I say recent because things change.  I am attempting to source product with high quality Anodization while avoiding throwing companies under the bus by people with unreasonable expectations.  I don't mind paying more for better anodizing.  I would have paid more for a car in the 80's with paint that didn't blow off while driving had I known it was an option.

TTC
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you are looking for since with few exceptions the alum parts of an AR are anodized.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, every AR receiver, handguard, mount, rings, and accessory (that is made out of aluminum) currently on the market is anodized, unless you special order them in the white.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure what you are looking for since with few exceptions the alum parts of an AR are anodized.
View Quote

I am attempting to source product with high quality Anodization while avoiding throwing companies under the bus by people with unreasonable expectations.  I don't mind paying more for better anodizing.  I would have paid more for a car in the 80's with paint that didn't blow off while driving had I known it was an option.

TTC
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If the facility doing the aluminum anodizing conforms to the appropriate Mil-Specs in their processes, then the quality should be consistant with military weapons.  What more do you want?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the facility doing the aluminum anodizing conforms to the appropriate Mil-Specs in their processes, then the quality should be consistant with military weapons.  What more do you want?
View Quote

That would be fine.

TTC
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Then at a minimum only milspec anodizing will do. And most companies selling AR use that and say they do.

It's a distinctive finish different than aluminum storefront (which is good) or decorative import knife handles (like on cheap folding box knives.) It is an art to apply, even tho most of the process is well known and controlled. Nonetheless electricity and chemicals are used, dyes saturate the finish, and different alloys react uniquely.

Very few makers get thrown under the bus on the subject. Even issue Colt, FN, and Remington contract rifles may have finish differences upper vs lower, and the milspec allows it, as it is just a cosmetic issue, not a functional one.

Run a 10 year old rifle thru ten basic training cycles and they ALL will degrade. So do the M9 Berettas.

If someone is looking for a perfectly matched upper and lower in a presentation grade finish, a request to the maker of choice might be the better avenue. Otherwise, next months upper won't likely match last summers lower and the industry cannot and will not guarantee it. And again - it's not a military contract requirement.

If anything, some of us would like see makers stop using black at all. It's not original nor is it effective as a concealing color. While the OP might not want to see any makers thrown under the bus, some of us might because we can't seem to get anything but black on the lower priced items.

Oh well, where's the Clorox.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never heard of specific negative issues with any commercial anodizer that does MIL-SPEC hardcoat anodizing.  I have personally used US Anodizing, and they were great, with stellar results for my single lower.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am attempting to source product with high quality Anodization while avoiding throwing companies under the bus by people with unreasonable expectations.  I don't mind paying more for better anodizing.  I would have paid more for a car in the 80's with paint that didn't blow off while driving had I known it was an option.

TTC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTC

I have never seen a post where someone tested the hardness and thickness of the anodizing to see if it was in line with mil-spec.
If you stick with the vendors with good reputations you should be OK.
If on the other hand you buy blems or stuff that is too cheap for what it would cost to make it in the US then LOL with that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have never seen a post where someone tested the hardness and thickness of the anodizing to see if it was in line with mil-spec.
If on the other hand you buy blems or stuff that is too cheap for what it would cost to make it in the US then LOL with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTC

That was the assumption I made and that is my mistake.  I will not make a similar mistake.  No Milspec II or  III  ,  NO SALE.

TTC
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top