Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2014 4:55:26 PM EDT
According to this story Ghost Gunner will be releasing a $1,500 CNC machine to build your own gun/parts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
All I want is a CNC mill that can flawlessly engrave a custom rollmark onto a blank magwell.

Those are kind of tempting though, but the upkeep on them is probably spendy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
hell, why not just release a program that will finish out an 80% "paperweight"
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hell, why not just release a program that will finish out an 80% "paperweight"
View Quote

It appears that that too is in the works, to use with their machine.  The coolest part about this is the absolute zero need for previous machining experience to use the GhostGunner mill.  Just plug the forging in, tell the machine to go, and off it goes.

Edit to add: Thinking about this, and the GhostGunner video, I'm more interested in the flexibility of this tool than the "no serial number" part.  Big Brother can't really track any firearm by serial number without substantial effort, and the serial number tracking system is built around forensics.  Of course the State of California idiocy through their video makes it seem like it's mocking those idiot talking heads about the serial number issue.  

But the device is apparently built around some pretty generalized tooling and XYZ processes, making it flexible enough to mill anything that is of a similar size to an AR lower.  You just need the 3D files for your finished item and a way to translate them into the company's .dd CNC format.  I can think of about a dozen parts or devices I would LIKE to make out of aluminum that have absolutely nothing to do with firearms, but the CNC machine time, software costs and learning curves with all of it are prohibitive.  A desktop 10X8X3" format mill could make a lot of things for a lot of people, not just guns and gun parts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to this story Ghost Gunner will be releasing a $1,500 CNC machine to build your own gun/parts.
View Quote

Where can these be purchased??
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1000 preorders are sold out.
$1200 still available

https://ghostgunner.net/preorder.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

$1200 still available

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1200 still available

I must have one...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I laughed at the article, the writer is telling it like this is something new, people been doing CNC on Mills for years, and mills themselves have come way down in price, although made in china, allot of companies offer these machines at a decent price, and like a few of you mentioned, you can do any metal project that fits within the table and movement sizes. I'm old school and do it manually with a Grizzly G0619 mill, adding CNC to this machine would probably be another thousand, with the motors, controller and software. Already have lot's of computers, and the programs are available for the AR lowers. I love it when the media sinks their teeth info something and gets a bunch of people all fired up about the scary machines that can make scary rifle parts.

Some of the speakers in the news brief are the typical no nothings about firearms in general. Did anyone read the comments about a 30 round magazine being able to be emptied in a half second lol. None of these idiots ever bother to check facts and info before babbling on the tube.

Grizzly offers a CNC package for several of there mill products.

Research this stuff before plunking down your money, as this basic price is just that, a mill with CNC control motors and a controller, software will be extra, or free from some suppliers. The G code needed for the program is also available, some for free. Oh and I just took another closer look at this puppy, it's not even available yet, probably being assembled in china now. The dental industry has also been using these exact type of enclosed multi axis mills for making crowns and caps for a few years also. I tested one of those a few years ago. To small for most of my projects. Look at the work piece size in the specs, it will just be able to handle an AR lower.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top