Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2014 11:32:14 PM EDT
Sorry to skip the “search”, but I’m on a short notice to duracoat my rifle. New job has killed my free time, and my buddy is away for 2 weeks and I want it done before he gets back. Need to order parts AND paint in less than 2 weeks.

I have a very good and well worn RRA with a Troy alpha rail and battle sights, all the mounts and such that I need (optics, light, sling, etc), and I have colors picked.

My question is…

What “little goodies” should I get before I paint? I want to spray them in the same session, and reassemble the rifle with the new parts so I don’t have to dink with anything in the foreseeable future.
1) Ambi safety? What do you recommend that won’t interfere with a right handed shooter’s trigger finger (e.g. one with one stubby selector)?
2) Ambi mag release?
3) Ambi bolt release, or improved non-ambi?
4) Muzzle brake MAYBE…I have a RRA “OEM” Smith that I like just fine, but if I was convinced to replace it with some amazing magic voodoo thing, it could happen if the price wasn’t too insane.
5) Am I forgetting something?

I don’t want to spend a bunch, but I’m also not afraid to buy the best if it’s justified. I hate the idea of trying to color match 3 months from now to get the "awesome forward assist" or whatever.

I will happily research to find my personal favorites, but I’m a year or two out of touch with what’s “The best right now”, so I need you guys to throw out things to look at. I need to get the parts ordered in the next couple days.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sorry to skip the “search”, but I’m on a short notice to duracoat my rifle. New job has killed my free time, and my buddy is away for 2 weeks and I want it done before he gets back. Need to order parts AND paint in less than 2 weeks.

I have a very good and well worn RRA with a Troy alpha rail and battle sights, all the mounts and such that I need (optics, light, sling, etc), and I have colors picked.

My question is…

What “little goodies” should I get before I paint? I want to spray them in the same session, and reassemble the rifle with the new parts so I don’t have to dink with anything in the foreseeable future.
1) Ambi safety? What do you recommend that won’t interfere with a right handed shooter’s trigger finger (e.g. one with one stubby selector)?   Battlement arms developement safety
2) Ambi mag release?   Norgon
3) Ambi bolt release, or improved non-ambi?    Tactical Link BAL
4) Muzzle brake MAYBE…I have a RRA “OEM” Smith that I like just fine, but if I was convinced to replace it with some amazing magic voodoo thing, it could happen if the price wasn’t too insane.   VG6 Precision, or a Battlecomp
5) Am I forgetting something?  Raptor Ambi CH

I don’t want to spend a bunch, but I’m also not afraid to buy the best if it’s justified. I hate the idea of trying to color match 3 months from now to get the "awesome forward assist" or whatever.

I will happily research to find my personal favorites, but I’m a year or two out of touch with what’s “The best right now”, so I need you guys to throw out things to look at. I need to get the parts ordered in the next couple days.

Thanks for your help.
View Quote

These are the latest and greatest Fads for you gun you could also include KNS Trigger pins to that list
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions. I researched a fair amount, and these seem to be pretty much "the best". I don't need a charging handle, and it appears all the Ambi bolt catches are protrusions, so I'll stick with mag catch and selector.

Any last minute suggestions before I drop the cash?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I got a suggestion... I haven't looked at their website lately to see if they even stock those items but, If your needing it completed in 2 weeks forget PSA.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done some research on this myself. The ambi mag releases just aren't worth the money.

I wouldn't do the paint job with ANY parts installed. You also need to clean all the parts really well - ZERO oil on them. use restaurant or surgical gloves so you don't even touch the parts with your fingers after cleaning them. Even your skin oils can make the paint flake.

If you are doing the lower receiver with the parts installed already, I'd mask off the trigger. Ideally, you paint before installing the lower parts. However, it you want the lower parts to be painted as well then install everything except the trigger so your pin ends get painted with the lower receiver.

The main thing is that you don't want ANY paint to get inside the rifle. If you are going to paint the dustcover on both sides, remove it.

I hope you post a picture of it when it's finished :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
if your a lefty i can see the ambi stuff but if your not why bother?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the ambi-safeties because they allow me to see the status of the rifle from either side, and I occasionally train left handed. The ambi-mag catch is handy for bench shooting, lefty reloads, etc. Neither is really a top priority, but since the rifle will be "finished" after the paint, I figured I would just splurge and get everything on there that I might want.

As for the painting, I've duracoated a number of guns, knives, and various other items, so I've got the metal prep and painting down pretty good. I will be stripping the rifle completely down and thoroughly scrubbing everything before I spray. I will paint all the little bits separately, which is why I wanted the new parts before I proceed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I got a suggestion... I haven't looked at their website lately to see if they even stock those items but, If your needing it completed in 2 weeks forget PSA.
View Quote

LoL this.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top