Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 8:12:25 AM EDT
So I see people painting theyre ar's with krylon.  My question is do I have to strip every part off in order to paint it or can I paint it with everything together??? I saw a guy spraying his gun without striping it and it looked good but I wanted to ask the community on theyre advice. And because its spray paint will it be sticky like spray paint is notorious for??
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Helpful:

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you good sir. ive looked at a couple videos im just scared what if I paint over my charging handle and it gets stuck or something lol maybe im crazy
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
That video is full of standard army derpocityness.  They take something so easy and make it hard.  No one tapes off all that stuff.  You don't even need to hit it with acetone or brake cleaner first.  The point is to camouflage it, not make it pretty.  

Cleaning it first is fine if you want to do that.  Don't get wrapped around the axle taping everything off though.  Just do the high points like the muzzle, mag well, etc.  Also, use light coats!!!  I can't stress that enough.  Light. Coats.  It will dry better, especially if you use multiple colors.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I just stuffed cotton balls in the flash hider, taped the bottom of the magwell, closed the ejection port door.

Also stuffed cottonballs in both ends of the scope and taped the ends off.  Taped off markings on the scope.

You could probably just stick a mag in the magwell.

Use light coats, it won't seep in and gum anything up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
cover sights / lenses, close dust cover and paint away.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#6]
that video makes me want to kick a baby..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/644397_My_NEW_BUILD_is_my_life__I_must_master_it_as_I_must_master_my_life____Camo_update__.html

this is how i painted. no tape, leave the charging handle, just take some goof off to all the seams and moving parts post paint.

use light coats..
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol thank all of you for the great advice I was almost scared to start taping stuff off so I will just spray it very lightly pop a mag in and leave the charging handle in. Thank you
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
So when your adding the good off to the seems how to you apply ir without getting it on the parts that are painted
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So when your adding the good off to the seems how to you apply ir without getting it on the parts that are painted
View Quote

Never mind
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude.  You're supposed to use the paint on your rifle....not huff it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top