Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 6:09:37 AM EDT
I have been flip flopping for a couple weeks now. Here are the options and my pros/cons.

300BLK
I like that I don't need to get any more mags and can swap my BCG and charging handle. I do reload but don't have any rifle brass sizing equipment or 300BlK dies, brass or projectiles. Ammo is not readily available. Also I dont plan on running a suppressor.

6.8 SPC
I have heard that if you want 7.62x39 performance and are not going to use 300BLK suppressed then 6.8SPC is the way to go. I don't have any reloading supplies or ammo for 6.8.

6.5 Grendel
I like that this is more of a long range round. Same as 6.8 I have nothing for it.

7.62x39
I have thousands of rounds of 7.62x39. It is on every shelf and is about as cheap a round as you can get. I have heard the 7.62x39 has some performance issues but that may be in the past or with specific equipment.

I guess if I had a top two it would be 7.62x39 and 300BLK but I could be swayed between all 4.

It will be a 100 yard range toy, maybe some hog hunting, and possibly as a home defense with a red dot on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you already have the ammo 7.62x39.  Buy new mags, it sounds like they've got the bugs worked out.  More case capacity than .300", and can then convert to 6.5mm Grendel w/ just a bbl swap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
So 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel use the same mags and bolt? I like that!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The same bolt.  Dunno if 6.5 will feed to full capacity out of 7.62x39 mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
No... 6.5 Grendel variants (6.5 Sporter, 6.5 SAOD, .264 LBC, 6.5 CSS, etc.) and 7.62x39 MIGHT use the same bolt (depending on who chambered the barrel), but they DO NOT use the same magazines. REAL 6.5 Grendels use a Grendel specific bolt (deeper bolt face than a 7.62x39 bolt), and you'll have much better luck using 6.8 mags if you just have to use something other than an actual 6.5 Grendel mag.

If you want 7.62x39 in an AR, I'd say get the 300 BLK. You get basically the same ballistics without the potential reliability issues and proprietary parts.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No... 6.5 Grendel variants (6.5 Sporter, 6.5 SAOD, .264 LBC, 6.5 CSS, etc.) and 7.62x39 MIGHT use the same bolt (depending on who chambered the barrel), but they DO NOT use the same magazines. REAL 6.5 Grendels use a Grendel specific bolt (deeper bolt face than a 7.62x39 bolt),
View Quote

So let's say I was going to go with 7.62/6.5 direction. Would it be better to get a Grendel bolt or a 7.62 bolt?

Is there a big advantage to having a different BCG for each caliber? Or would itake that big a difference to have one carrier and swap it whenever swapping uppers?
Eventually I would just get a dedicated carrier for each caliber but trying to keep up front costs down as much as possible. That said I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't need a new BCG - just a new bolt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So let's say I was going to go with 7.62/6.5 direction. Would it be better to get a Grendel bolt or a 7.62 bolt?

Is there a big advantage to having a different BCG for each caliber? Or would itake that big a difference to have one carrier and swap it whenever swapping uppers?

Eventually I would just get a dedicated carrier for each caliber but trying to keep up front costs down as much as possible. That said I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No... 6.5 Grendel variants (6.5 Sporter, 6.5 SAOD, .264 LBC, 6.5 CSS, etc.) and 7.62x39 MIGHT use the same bolt (depending on who chambered the barrel), but they DO NOT use the same magazines. REAL 6.5 Grendels use a Grendel specific bolt (deeper bolt face than a 7.62x39 bolt),

The best bet is to get your bolt the same time/place that you get your barrel (most places sell them that way anyway). That way you know you have the right one, headspaced for your setup. The 6.5 Grendel bolt works best for a 6.5 Grendel, and the 7.62x39 bolt is best for a 7.62x39 build.

You can use the same carrier. The bolt and gas rings (on the bolt) are the main wear parts in the BCG.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top