Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2013 5:30:52 PM EDT
I am building a 300 BLK and was piecing it part by part. Do I need to put a forward assist and dust cover on it? In other words the stripped upper has a hole for forward assist and a slot for the dust cover. If I did the whole build and left those parts off would there be any issues? Yeah I know the kit is only $24 right now at PSA but maybe those could be the last parts I put on if needed, and I can spend my money elsewhere right now?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Some new rifles don't come with a dust cover at all and leaving it off will only hurt it if you get it around dust and sand.

The forward assist hole will blow gasses into your face if you leave it out and could injure you. They even sell tight fitting charging handles to keep the gasses out of your mouth when using an AR with a can so gas pressure is an issue. It might even blow a chunk or crud into your eye so I would avoid this.

Adding the dust cover later can be a PITA if you don't want to take off the barrel again to do it but it can be done, without scratching the upper if you are careful.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am building a 300 BLK and was piecing it part by part. Do I need to put a forward assist and dust cover on it? In other words the stripped upper has a hole for forward assist and a slot for the dust cover. If I did the whole build and left those parts off would there be any issues? Yeah I know the kit is only $24 right now at PSA but maybe those could be the last parts I put on if needed, and I can spend my money elsewhere right now?
View Quote

Partner, this isn't the place to cut corners. Just spend the $25 and put the parts in their proper places. I would also recommend that you do not approach the assembly of firearms this way, i.e. leaving off this part or that part to save $25. If you can't afford to do it properly, you really shouldn't do it. I am not trying to be harsh or ridicule you in any way, but your way of thinking will eventually get you hurt in Big-Boy world with things like firearms and what not.

I would recommend planning out your entire build, and making a list of all the parts you need to complete it. Then, watch for deals and start buying parts as you can afford them. Before you know it you will have everything you need to assemble your weapon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
PM me your address and I can try to get you the parts shipped out this weekend. Got a set I ain't using
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't sweat it guys. I'll wait on it. I don't have a barrel yet so it really doesn't matter. My thoughts were that the dust cover is really optional, proven by the models that don't have one. So if the dust cover wasn't completely necessary and there are models that don't have both then the FA could be optional as well. I shoot righty so I don't think I would get blown back into my face but now knowing there is the possibility for gas to escape I don't want to mess with that. It could affect the cycling of the BCG and I don't want that at all. I just completed my first 5.56 build and I was pushing to get the 300 upper done quick for no reason other than there are a bunch of deals out there right now.

Thanks for the info and the offers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
At the very least get the forward assist, those gases will smack you right in face.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't sweat it guys. I'll wait on it. I don't have a barrel yet so it really doesn't matter. My thoughts were that the dust cover is really optional, proven by the models that don't have one. So if the dust cover wasn't completely necessary and there are models that don't have both then the FA could be optional as well. I shoot righty so I don't think I would get blown back into my face but now knowing there is the possibility for gas to escape I don't want to mess with that. It could affect the cycling of the BCG and I don't want that at all. I just completed my first 5.56 build and I was pushing to get the 300 upper done quick for no reason other than there are a bunch of deals out there right now.

Thanks for the info and the offers.
View Quote

Another option is buy an upper with out the FA and dust cover spots. Neither part is needed with the correct upper. But if you already bought the upper you need to at least add the FA, or I know some company makes a plug for it. The dust cover isn't needed but it could be difficult to install later as you would have to remove the barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top