Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 3:14:31 PM EDT
It is not going so well.  I think I may have gotten a blem or an out of spec lower.  There is a huge gap in between the upper and lower receiver at the rear and I'm not sure it will function.  What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
90% chance it's the lower that's bad but you haven't posted anything to convince me it's not the upper yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a colt upper.  I have also put on a DSA and a BCM upper with the same results.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that will create a failure to fire.But I guess it could cause a feeding issue.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Picture of just the lower showing a side shot of the buffer thread area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The space between the upper and lower at that point have no bearing on the function or durability of the assembly.  Alignment is set by the location of the hinge and take-down pins.  It'll be fine as far as it goes.  You can see daylight between aluminum uppers and lowers as well.  When your polymer lower fails it'll be behind the take-down pin.

Lots of pictures on line like this:

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]

The gap is not a problem. The polymer could be.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Not good if you ask me. The big question is whether or not the buffer system will align properly.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Let us know if the selector holes actually line up. Mine were out of alignment on the vertical plane. The selector was super crooked. Tossed the lower in the AK47 can
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let us know if the selector holes actually line up. Mine were out of alignment on the vertical plane. The selector was super crooked. Tossed the lower in the AK47 can
View Quote
Great. Im awaiting a LPK before I drill it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#10]
After closer examination of the pics;  it appears as though the lower is out of spec. The rear take down pin is too high. Notice the gap between the upper & lower is about the same as how far up the upper is sitting above the buffer tube mount... maybe .020" or so.

Send it back if you can.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one that looks like that and it runs fine.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#12]
A local guy build one and had the same problems.  Everything was so misaligned the buffer would bind, and he had a huge gap between the lower & upper.  His was a blem lower, but it was supposed to be just cosmetic.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top