Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 11:51:05 AM EDT
So I am building my first AR and going to try not to sound like a total noob here but understand I am charting new territory. Here is my woe.

I am building out my lower using a Spike's Tactical lower and a Defense Package Ambi Safety. Well when I install the safety into the lower I have a 1/8" of play which seems far from idea, see pic.. I would see if I was building a model airplane but on a firearm this seems like crap.

My questions are these:

• Anyone else had a similar issue with Defense Package Ambi Safeties?

Are Spike's Lowers any narrower than others? I know they are build to mil-spec so I am thinking not.

Should I return and hunt for a better Ambi Safety manufacturer?

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/Bob_Maynard/3697B367-4AF6-4008-A1BB-696158C875CA_zpsqix9lo2t.jpg
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is 1/8" on one side or each side? Because that could be a little more gap than normal. It should be fine if you just out your selector detent in, spring, and grip on. This will center up the selector and even out the gap and take out all the play.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
1/8 total meaning 1/16th on either side. I will try putting in the detent and see what it looks like. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1/8 total meaning 1/16th on either side. I will try putting in the detent and see what it looks like. Thanks
View Quote

Yeah that's normal for those type of selectors. You just don't notice it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your center section is installed correctly so that the detent will work correctly. I think I installed the first one I ever did in a rush backwards and had the problem you are experiencing. It was different brand safety but same issue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There should be zero side to side movement once properly installed.  If the detent is in place and under spring pressure with he grip installed, the detent should ride in the cut channel and snap into each milled stop point.  The selector also should not be rubbing circles on the side of the receiver.  Now that said, I have not used that specific selector, but none of mine have ever done that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Either you have a full auto selector installed or no detent allowing the selector to rotate toward the FA position.  Put in your selector detent, spring, and pistol grip and your side to side play will stop.  That's the purpose of these parts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
He has no detent. His grip is off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He has no detent. His grip is off.
View Quote

^this.
install the detent and see what happens.  you should be gtg.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all. With some fussing I was finally able to get the detent to drop down into the selctor. Once this happened the safety was centered and I had I had no grip rub on either side. Looks like a keeper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top