Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2013 1:06:17 PM EDT
Ok so i've lost my upper vice block...no idea where it's gone as i keep everything neatly organized on my work bench, i'm blaming the dog but who knows. Anyway i was hoping to finish up my latest build this weekend and was wondering short of ordering another one is there any thing else i can use or any other methods for effectively installing a barrel? I guess i'm going to have to order a new one but I don't feel like waiting. I also don't want to screw anything up so i guess if waiting is my only option i will have to.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What i use for most of my upper work (handguard installation, etc) are two pieces of a thick (3/8") kitchen cutting board. I bought one at wal mart and cut two pieces of appx 6 long by 2" wide (basically the length of the upper receiver and a couple times the width).  I place one between the takedown holes on the bottom portion of the receiver (you may need it closer to 4" long for the bottom) and one between the top rail and the other side of the vice.  I then work on the upper with it on its side.  Works great and its more sturdy imo than most upper vice blocks.  It prevents twisting very well and does not mar the upper since the cutting board takes all of the abuse.  A good upper vice block alternative for less than $10 and its something you can get at wal mart.

Edit: Scroll down towards the bottom of the page HERE
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What i use for most of my upper work (handguard installation, etc) are two pieces of a thick (3/8") kitchen cutting board. I bought one at wal mart and cut two pieces of appx 6 long by 2" wide (basically the length of the upper receiver and a couple times the width).  I place one between the takedown holes on the bottom portion of the receiver (you may need it closer to 4" long for the bottom) and one between the top rail and the other side of the vice.  I then work on the upper with it on its side.  Works great and its more sturdy imo than most upper vice blocks.  It prevents twisting very well and does not mar the upper since the cutting board takes all of the abuse.  A good upper vice block alternative for less than $10 and its something you can get at wal mart.
View Quote

Thanks man I was thinking of just cutting a spare piece of thick plastic board I had into the shape of a vice block but i like your solution too. Will try it out
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok so i've lost my upper vice block...no idea where it's gone as i keep everything neatly organized on my work bench, i'm blaming the dog but who knows. Anyway i was hoping to finish up my latest build this weekend and was wondering short of ordering another one is there any thing else i can use or any other methods for effectively installing a barrel? I guess i'm going to have to order a new one but I don't feel like waiting. I also don't want to screw anything up so i guess if waiting is my only option i will have to.

Thanks
View Quote

I did it the old fashioned way between two wood blocks. I think it only works with flat top uppers though. I will try to find a pic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I did it the old fashioned way between two wood blocks. I think it only works with flat top uppers though. I will try to find a pic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Here is the thread I saw it in:

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=215479
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Inc-AR15-Block/dp/B007LDRXWW

You have 2 hours left to order it for 2-day delivery on Friday. I'm a prime member so it's an included cost but i don't know how much shipping is if you're not a prime member.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Inc-AR15-Block/dp/B007LDRXWW

You have 2 hours left to order it for 2-day delivery on Friday. I'm a prime member so it's an included cost but i don't know how much shipping is if you're not a prime member.
View Quote

Thanks actually went with a slightly pricier one but now i have to try the kitchen board/wood block idea! lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yep, I used a 1X4 cut to fit. Worked like a charm putting my upper together.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top