Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2013 1:16:42 PM EDT
Sub MOA & somewhat light for a billet gun but very solid all around. No "ping" due to the UBR stock which is my favorite mod next to the RRA stg 2 trigger. Young Mfg match grade 16" bbl with Match BCG. EOTech XPS 2-0 & Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 in Larue SPR-E mount not pictured

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
How are those Hera Magazines working out for you?  They look spacey and cool, but I've only heard negative things about them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice rifle. I have a couple Hera mags and have had zero issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
My Match Billet Build...Young Mfg match grade 16" bbl with Match BCG.
View Quote

What kind of match?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have only put 90 rnds thru each mag but so far so good. They are nowhere near the quality of a pmag with their thinner plastic, lousy follower and general cheap feel but they seem to fit very well. They drop easily. The ammo tends to rattle a bit inside & when loading them the ammo hangs up every 5-10 rnds or so but a little tap on the backside straightens it out. Nothing compares to the solidness of a pmag all around. I like the lancers much better than the hera mags too. But i had to try them for myself. They look good imo but for now they are just a range/display mag until I put more rounds through them. The more mags I try the more I love my pmags. Tango down mags are decent too. Im yet to try the troy & HK composite mags which are next on the list.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Curious.

Why go and get match grade components for the upper and then not free float it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
And your upper is not billet.  The first year or two the MUR VLTOR uppers were billet but they have been forged for about six years now, maybe more.  You have a nice build but you have made a couple of false assumptions about the importance of billet parts and what constitutes a match rife, or what a match rifle is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a nice build but you have made a couple of false assumptions about the importance of billet parts and what constitutes a match rife, or what a match rifle is.
View Quote

Haha, yeahhh..
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty sure it is billet.. It has cnc machine marks on it.. Was labeled in add as 7075 or whatever it is.. I like it. It was free floted but the lwrc arms-r rail began to come loose and made the barrel nut come lose often so i decided to go for the traditional simple system of plastic hg's. it runs a very nice sub moa group & thats because of the match grade parts. Had i used cheaper standard parts or a chrome lined bbl i would bet the group would open up atleast an inch. Thanks for the critiscm though i like it

Theres no one way to build a rifle. I chose this setup because i hike long distances with my rifle & I need something solid, simple & I prefer an esthetically pleasing weapon most of all. Ive had few AR's but this one is my favorite because I chose every part & built it myself. It shoots tighter group than my buddy's floated bull bbl 16"

3shot group 100yds 55gr winchester premium . Sierra Gold medal match do even better

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Few more angles, matches billet lower as far as being modular

Btw i bet its been more than 5 yrs since i bought that upper..pretty sure u spoke too soon..no?

It was floated here..

Not proud of these machine marks but the first one they sent me was really bad. I sent it back & they sent me this one. Good thing its not a safe queen..

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The MUR is made from a 7075 aircraft-grade aluminum forging. Prior to machining, the forging is fully stress relieved, heat treated, aged twice and undergoes a proprietary cryogenic treatment. The MUR is precision machined and each part finished by hand. There is not a better upper receiver available.

From vltor

Billet does not make a gun more accurate.it is a cosmetic change unless you consider the ambi changes on some.

Edit to add
Vltor also has them gem on their site, after looking they only made the first few out of billet because of weaknesses, they now boast this

Improved strength over conventional forged “flat-top” upper receivers. Stronger than any “billet” upper receiver with similar material and dimensional characteristics. Tighter manufacturing tolerances, when compared to the competition.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The MUR is made from a 7075 aircraft-grade aluminum forging. Prior to machining, the forging is fully stress relieved, heat treated, aged twice and undergoes a proprietary cryogenic treatment. The MUR is precision machined and each part finished by hand. There is not a better upper receiver available.

From vltor

Billet does not make a gun more accurate.it is a cosmetic change unless you consider the ambi changes on some.
View Quote

Hmm , right on. So all this because of topic title saying billet when my billet like part looks billet lol. Cool. Thanks for clearing that up guys. I still think it looks like billet part so I will probably continue to call it that haha. Ah man my spelling is horrible..about as bad as my iphone grammar..do we have go there next :P

I think the upper combined with full face match bcg contributes to my accuracy some. Had i used commercial spec forged upper receiver it would be less accurate.

.. And the ubr helps believe it or not because i shoot from standing position and it makes forend feel lighter because of the balance plus it has no play in it at all. The vtac sling helps a ton when real world off the bench shooting because u can apply pressure to the gun & sling to really help keep it all perfectly still. Ive made some long shots that way. I hunt deer every season, rabbit & yotes all yr so ive had time to use different setups, see what fails or works well for me. I would love get a proven ff with good locking system like larue.

I never had failure of any kind in this uppers life of maybe 2000-3000rnds Which makes a guy feel nice..I consider it proven reliably and accurately for my needs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh don't get me wrong, I still think the mur is the best upper you can buy, and still think your build looks great, but sub moa comes from a good flat face on the upper, which mur will give you, a great barrel, which you chose, and a great trigger, which you got. If you want to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it, it would help you to float it with a nice vltor rail. But kudos here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually it was floated and it wasnt more accurate really. Maybe a hair on the bench but i dont have bench with me out in the woods so I really dont notice it. The animals i shoot seem to get hit .. Not sure how many times i missed because i didnt have ff. but in theory it should make it more accurate no doubt.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top