Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2013 12:09:49 AM EDT
So my drill-press noob self was working on finishing my 80% lower receiver, when I realized that I misread the plans and milled-out too much material (about 1" in depth instead of .630") in the rear-most pocket of the receiver (behind the trigger, by the safety-selector switch hole up to by where the stock attaches). Clearly I screwed it up, but how critical is this? Will the gun still function if I put it together or do I need to restart?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you have the correct width it should be fine. If you cut to wide you will expose the selector detent hole.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
look at the blueprints for a M-16, that area's milled out anyway to accomodate the auto sear.
don't worry, if you can't see daylight through it, it's ok.(just watch out laterally like's been posted that selector detent hole is close)
and don't worry about it (maybe,probably not) being able to accept a auto sear, as long as the auto sear holes aren't drilled you're ok there,too.
there's no law that says we have to do a lower any one way.

but you certainly COULD  fill the void with epoxy and remachine if you wish.
there's a epoxy putty available at auto part stores that you cut off a section (iboth halves are in a tube) and knead it till uniform then push into place.
i've actually tapped it once cured and it holds for light duty.

it's all up to you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
1" deep at the rear take down pocket is pretty damn deep, that's gotta be close to poking out of the back strap radius.

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
if thats the area (commonly called the shelf, as in low shelf vs, high shelf) then its ok as long as its not all the way through.
close and thin don't count, can't put it back anyway.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone, glad to have the help and thanks for the idea with the putty!
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as you have the correct width it should be fine. If you cut to wide you will expose the selector detent hole.
View Quote

I did this tonight and exposed about 1/3 of the selector detent hole before I knew it.

Is this lower trash now?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1" deep at the rear take down pocket is pretty damn deep, that's gotta be close to poking out of the back strap radius.

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/3d%20printable%20gun.jpg
View Quote

While the original AR-15 print does call for a .630" depth, IMHO it is way to deep and unnecessary from a Engineering perspective...I would
submit that a .525" depth for the rear shelf take-down pocket is more than sufficient (just like in the AR-10B original prints)...It will give you
a stronger lower and will require less machining time for your 80% builds.

Also, please read your prints carefully before attempting to start your 80% AR-15 builds, you don't want to wind up with a expensive paperweight.

There are plenty of good Engineers/Machinist's/Builders on this board that can help some of the new builders out there on this forum...

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did this tonight and exposed about 1/3 of the selector detent hole before I knew it.

Is this lower trash now?
View Quote

No...
Just like above. use some Epoxy putty, or my favorite J-B Weld.
Fill in - Build up the affect area. Let Epoxy fully setup overnight!!
Now just finish mill the area as needed.
The Re-Drill the detent pin/spring channel..

Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No...

Good Luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this lower trash now?

No...

Good Luck

I will try that out.

This was my first try and milling so I am not to mad.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
You are not the first guy to over-mill that area, or to mill the shelf too deep.  Luckily it isn't taking much stress there, so the epoxy will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
.630 is the Low Shelf measurement if you desire to go to a legal DIAS.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.630 is the Low Shelf measurement if you desire to go to a legal DIAS.
View Quote

Correct, for which 99% of user will never use...and it can always be re-milled if they change their mind as well...
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Please see response with quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is this lower trash now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this lower trash now?

I did this and simpliy used a hardened steel dowel to make a longer detent pin  and cut the spring length to compentsate
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top