Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2013 7:15:30 PM EDT
Been a long time lurker thought I would finally post about my newest build.

Here goes. I don't have access to a long range so this one is being built with 100-200yards max shooting.
Keep in mind this is a bit of a budget build and my goal is to see if I can shoot 1/2" groups with a sub $700 AR

Here is what I have or have ordered.  

Seeking Precision Lower Receiver
Palmetto Upper Receiver
Red X 16" carbine length Stainless Bull (.936") with full target crown)
Palmetto BCG
Hogue OM grip and OM for-end
A2 stock and riffle buffer assy (take off from RRA varmint)
Jard adjustable trigger 1.5#-3.5#
Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 mounted with Warne ultra high rings

I think that's about it I should have everything in next with and I'll start the build with pics!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for starters, you're going to need a lower parts kit, and an upper build kit with F/A parts, ejection port door/spring/rod/c-clip, gas block, charging handle, and some magazines. I would recommend 20rd mags for a bench gun. Oh yeah, you will also need a proper AR scope mount.

Barrel - I would recommend going with a different barrel for a bench/precision gun as well. If you are dead set on a Red X barrel, then use their 20" 1:8 twist barrel instead of any of their 1:9 twist 16" barrels. If you are wanting to shoot small groups you will likely wind up shooting longer projectiles, and that is when you need the faster twist rate such as 1:8 or 1:7. I would advise you to seriously consider a different barrel, as that is not the place to save money. Maybe check out the Rainier Arms Match barrels.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in to see the completed build, and best of luck keeping it under $700 with FFL fees, glass, parts kits, etc.

Save the money on the Seekins and get something cheaper to help out, otherwise I can't see how you'll be under 700 with a decent barrel and optics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
if you're trying to build on a budget why would you go for a seekins lower? i'm assuming you're going for the forged? you can spend more on your barrel by getting an Aero Precision blem (it'll be top notch trust me) lower. the seekins billet lowers are beautiful, but he forged ones are just another forged lower.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The upper receiver will have more to do with accuracy than the lower. Any cheap lower will work, And I'm Ar's the barrel is the single most important part. Get a good one.

+1 on the 20" 1-8 or 1-7 twist.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, best of luck on the build.

I think this barrel would be well worth the money... guaranteed to shoot sub-moa...
this barrel

PSA has some good deals on stuff, but don't skimp on the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I fitted Kreiger barrels to both the ones I built recently.

Minimum Spec .223rem  chamber takes a bit of getting used too though when reloading. Wouldn't chamber my std Reloads (OK with all factory ammo. Needed SB dies and now all good.

Bit over your  $700 budget though.

Best group to date is 15mm at 100 yards for 5 shots. Gun was built as a long range bunny buster has a NXS5.5-22 x fitted. Not a lightweight gun though. I am having to remove the ARFX stock and MIAD grips used on both as these are no longer legal from next month to own on a  std NZ firearms licence. Have to fit a thumb hole type like this

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, for starters, you're going to need a lower parts kit, and an upper build kit with F/A parts, ejection port door/spring/rod/c-clip, gas block, charging handle, and some magazines. I would recommend 20rd mags for a bench gun. Oh yeah, you will also need a proper AR scope mount.

Barrel - I would recommend going with a different barrel for a bench/precision gun as well. If you are dead set on a Red X barrel, then use their 20" 1:8 twist barrel instead of any of their 1:9 twist 16" barrels. If you are wanting to shoot small groups you will likely wind up shooting longer projectiles, and that is when you need the faster twist rate such as 1:8 or 1:7. I would advise you to seriously consider a different barrel, as that is not the place to save money. Maybe check out the Rainier Arms Match barrels.
View Quote

I have a PSA MOE LPK but I will not be using the grip or fire control group
II guess I just forgot to mention the that I had all the small parts including FA and EP cover...

I'm sticking with the 16" at under 200 yards I will gain no advantage going longer.
Well see how the redx shoots Is I need to I will replace...

I'll be using 10 rd mags...

Just a FYI this is my 8th build so this aint my first rodeo,
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if you're trying to build on a budget why would you go for a seekins lower? i'm assuming you're going for the forged? you can spend more on your barrel by getting an Aero Precision blem (it'll be top notch trust me) lower. the seekins billet lowers are beautiful, but he forged ones are just another forged lower.
View Quote

I bought 3 of them 10 months ago when everything was crazy.
I paid 119.00 each (NO FFL FEE) my uncle had his FFL
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 3:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I fitted Kreiger barrels to both the ones I built recently.

Minimum Spec .223rem  chamber takes a bit of getting used too though when reloading. Wouldn't chamber my std Reloads (OK with all factory ammo. Needed SB dies and now all good.

Bit over your  $700 budget though.

Best group to date is 15mm at 100 yards for 5 shots. Gun was built as a long range bunny buster has a NXS5.5-22 x fitted. Not a lightweight gun though. I am having to remove the ARFX stock and MIAD grips used on both as these are no longer legal from next month to own on a  std NZ firearms licence. Have to fit a thumb hole type like this

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/attachments/f15/15891d1383203151-ar15-should-i-buy-now-wait-ar15-stronghold.jpg
View Quote

I looked at those and maybe as the gun evolves I'll add one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok First off I'm simply trying to stay under $700 I don't have to and realistically wont.

Second I know that Red-x are not the best by far but they are cheap.
If the barrel wont shoot tight groups I put it in a pinker and buy a better barrel.

I'm not trying to build a CMP 1000 yard gun, I want to see how accurate a "budget" gun can really be.
This is only a fun test build if it shoots tight great, but I'll be happy with sub MOA.

Here is a tally on the cost at this point.

Seeking lower $119
PSA Upper $49.99 (just saw them for $39.99 last night darnit!)
PSA MOE LPK $49.99
Jard trigger $100
Upper parts FA/EP Cover $19.99
A2 stock w/Buffer assy $20
PSA Premium BCG $79
Barrel $130
Grip and Forend $65
Gas Block $25
Gas Tube $15

So My total less optics is: $672.97

I did also but a Redfield scope and Warne rings thatl total just under $300

Here is a pic of the barrel I bead blasted it.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x283/ckusnierek/photo.jpg

and the Hogue forend and grip
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x283/ckusnierek/index.jpg

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd start with a Wilson stainless bull barrel with a 223 match chamber.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't get 1/2 moa out of it and it will be inexpensive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck with your build, it sounds interesting. I've never seen a .936" barrel before.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I also reload my own 223 so I will load custom rounds tailored to this gun.
It may take a while to figure out what starts best....

My justification for getting the Red-x Barrel was simply because it seems like the Red-X M4 and non- ss Bulls barrels are craps I seem to see only good range reports of the SS bulls....
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aaaah well then carry on. let us know how she does.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My justification for getting the Red-x Barrel was simply because it seems like the Red-X M4 and non- ss Bulls barrels are craps I seem to see only good range reports of the SS bulls....
View Quote

After the quality of the barrel & the bolt fit/headspace, you will realize the best accuracy from the folowwing:

RELOADING
Every gun is different, same with dies, cases, etc.  But I can save you a lot of trouble given your parameters:

-use flat based bullets from 50 to 64 grains.  Boat tails won't shine until they are way past the distance you have access to.  

-buy bullets INTENDED for accuracy.  No "cannalure" crap; it only detracts from accuracy and is only there for .mil requirements:  YOU are after the smallest ground on paper. Stickl to your goals.  

Many makers produce a line of "match" bullets - and that is line of bullets you want; for example the ZMAX is a great bullet (especially for destroying varmints / bunnies), but the Hornady match bullet will usually equal it or better for accuracy.

-QUALITY flat based bullets only.  Hornady makes quality bullets (again, match).  Our military uses a SMK - which stands for Sierra Match King - that is a quality bullet.  Berger makes a quality bullet.  Lapua makes a quality bullet.  I would not expect the best from Armscore or Remington budget bulk bullets.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

After the quality of the barrel & the bolt fit/headspace, you will realize the best accuracy from the folowwing:

RELOADING
Every gun is different, same with dies, cases, etc.  But I can save you a lot of trouble given your parameters:

-use flat based bullets from 50 to 64 grains.  Boat tails won't shine until they are way past the distance you have access to.  

-buy bullets INTENDED for accuracy.  No "cannalure" crap; it only detracts from accuracy and is only there for .mil requirements:  YOU are after the smallest ground on paper. Stickl to your goals.  

Many makers produce a line of "match" bullets - and that is line of bullets you want; for example the ZMAX is a great bullet (especially for destroying varmints / bunnies), but the Hornady match bullet will usually equal it or better for accuracy.

-QUALITY flat based bullets only.  Hornady makes quality bullets (again, match).  Our military uses a SMK - which stands for Sierra Match King - that is a quality bullet.  Berger makes a quality bullet.  Lapua makes a quality bullet.  I would not expect the best from Armscore or Remington budget bulk bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RELOADING

Thank I too love the V-max and use them all the time. Natchez has a good deal on 62gr "Match" right now so im going to pick up a few hundred.
My gunsmith has the bolt and barrel right now checking things out for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My precision build is nudging 3k with Optics.  A good barrel alone will cost a minimum of 350.00.  I do not see how you can do it for 750.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My precision build is nudging 3k with Optics.  A good barrel alone will cost a minimum of 350.00.  I do not see how you can do it for 750.
View Quote

Perhaps - but wouldn't it be an accomplishment if it works?  

I love these types of "mythbuster" threads.   Whatever he finds, I am looking forward to OP's results.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

part of the fun is figuring out how much money more you pay for that extra .2 smaller moa.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

part of the fun is figuring out how much money more you pay for that extra .2 smaller moa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true...
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I do some bench shooting with 308 and 7 mag bolt guns.  Handload.  I can't see the target accuratly enough with anything under 24 x magnification.  But I have very old eyes, that might be it.  I don't think so though.  Have good vision with corrective lenses.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Too late now but you do not want a 5.56 chamber for precision work.    Wylde or even 223 would have been a better choice.  You could always get lucky but typically 5.56 chambers give up some accuracy potential for the higher pressures.   One other thing.....you might not like to mount a scope using normal rings on a regular AR-15 upper.    What you usually find is the eye relief is not correct.  You need to use a mount to offset the scope more forward on the upper receiver.   Having the scope eyepiece at the charging handle location is generally as far back as most seem to prefer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Should have most if not all the rest of the parts in this week!
I love PSA deals but man the shipping time kills me. Makes me want to drove down there and pick them up!
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#25]
UPS Just dropped off some goodies.
Got my:
Hogue grip and forend I really like it!
gas tube
gas block
scope and scope mount.

Come on PSA you have not even shipped yet it's been a whole week
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top