Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 7:41:16 PM EDT
Ok, I'll ask that you forgive my ignorance but I am totally new to the AR world.  I just bought my first stripped lower yesterday and I am looking for parts to complete it.  I bought a stag arms lower but I want to make sure I have good parts for best performance.  That being said, is a Timney trigger overkill for a first build?  Money isn't the issue but would I as a new AR owner even benefit?  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
delete
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You want a Giessele SSA
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you've shot rifles, you already know that a good trigger is the soul of a rifle.  

If money isn't an object, then upgrade from a Timney to a Geissele SSA.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Geiselle, but I would honestly i get used to the trigger that is currently on it and become accustomed to it before upgrading and see if it is sufficient for your needs.. if after you have gotten used to it and feel that a new upgraded trigger would help in your functionality and accuracy, then go ahead.. dont fix it unless its broken.. save your money for more ammo and practice shooting!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend a Geissele as well, I like the SSA-E for an overall trigger.

Everyone I know prefers an aftermarket trigger, even more so if they are used to the stock one. I have shot a lot of stock triggers and the vary in feel and weight, but none have come close to a nice Geissele.

I had a Timney before, but it had a slight bit of creep in it and had a few light primer strikes so I got rid of it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#6]

My own preference is a 2 stage trigger. It's what I’ve always practiced with and what I’m used to. for me end purpose is what will drive the price. If you are looking for a "battle rifle" that will be mostly shot off-hand, you should be able to get away with a mil-spec trigger but for a little more you can step up to something nicer (I use a RRA 2 stage for mine, nice crisp break and 5ish lbs total pull). They can be found in the $100 neighborhood. If you are looking to build a bench/prone shooter, putting more money in a trigger will be worth it. I have a Geissele NM adjustable trigger set at about 3 lbs total pull for my SPR, I paid 250 for it on sale. With the improvement I saw in my groups (I’m no expert so the trigger really helps me) I felt like I should have sent Bill Geissele some more money because it’s really that nice.

It's all about what you want out of your gun, that's the beauty of building of modifying your own ar.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would recommend a Geissele as well, I like the SSA-E for an overall trigger.

Everyone I know prefers an aftermarket trigger, even more so if they are used to the stock one. I have shot a lot of stock triggers and the vary in feel and weight, but none have come close to a nice Geissele.

I had a Timney before, but it had a slight bit of creep in it and had a few light primer strikes so I got rid of it.

View Quote

Oh yeah, make sure whatever you get has a full power hammer/hammer spring or you will run into this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the great suggestions.  It seems that the resounding answer is a Geissele trigger so I will definitely do my homework.  Again, i know this was probably a quick answer for a lot of you guys and i hope that as time goes on I can be a more productive member of this community.  Thanks for putting up with my noob questions, you guys are awesome.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top