Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2013 3:03:05 PM EDT
Well, I finally finished my ARs. Figured I would share here, I think I did pretty good.

Once I get a BUIS for mine, I will have about $900 in it, minus any red dot I decide on. While I could have got one off the shelf for that much, I think I would have sacrificed quality in a few areas, like 6000 series aluminum for the buffer tube and CH, maybe even lower quality steel in the barrel and bolt. Getting one with a Mid gas system at that price would have been difficult as well. The fiance's will have a little over $1000 in it after a BUIS, minus the upcoming optic, but it will probably get another $200 in it to get it to final configuration.

Mine is a Mega made lower (branded Rifle Gear) with a PSA 16" Mid gas Upper with their "premium" CHF barrel. A lot of people recommended PSA "premium" parts as being very good quality, and I know the barrels are made by FN, so they will also be well made. Just a standard AR platform and look, with ODG Magpul furniture. Using a NiB coated BCG from Rainier Arms. The first BCG I received was damaged in shipping, so they are sending me a NiB coated "Match" grade version as a replacement. (It had a small dent in the gas key where it mates with the gas tube)

I will be getting a better red dot for it later, I just threw on a cheap one I had sitting around. I would like an Aimpoint Pro, but I seen a Vortex Strikefire with an included attachable 2x magnifier for less than $200 that looks like it would work very well. (though I doubt I would use the magnifier, doesn't seem very useful really, as the dot would be magnified as well)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7711468/2013-10-18%2023.05.07.jpg

The fiance's will be set up for more precision at range... It has a Mega made lower as well with a PSA 16" Mid gas CHF Stainless barrel upper. Using FDE Magpul furniture. Just a standard mil spec BCG. (hers came as a complete upper set, mine did not) May or may not upgrade it, as hers will be a low volume shooter compared to mine. The easier cleaning of a NiB BCG is a nice feature, so that is tempting, its why I got one for mine. Not sure if a "match grade" BCG is worth it over a regular version though. Going to put on a Vortex PST 1-4x scope on hers, she really like the reticle, we looked at several, but she didn't like the reticles in them. She isn't looking for 600yd shooting, just 2-300, so I didn't think a higher power was needed.

Hers will eventually get a low profile gas block and FDE free float handguard as well to help with accuracy when she is shooting off a rest. Maybe a better trigger, or I work the one I have in it for a better pull.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7711468/2013-10-19%2015.29.38.jpg

As I said, I think I did good on these. Some people seem to put down parts unless they are made by a small list of makers... but knowing most parts are sourced from other companies, and all the forgings come from only a few places... It really comes down to making sure the company sources good parts of the right materials, and the quality of any in house machining work and assembly and QA controls they follow. Some places like PSA source different levels of quality and materials so they can serve various markets and needs, which is fine, just be sure you get the quality level you want.

[UPDATE]

Made it to the range today to test and sight in both of the new ARs. Went to the new PSA range over in Greenville. Very nice range BTW. Didn't shoot many rounds, though.

My rifle shot smooth ans functioned great; it sighted in pretty quick, elevation was dead on, but it seemed like I had to crank in to much windage. 15 clicks right, seems too much to me. Groups were good and tight though. So I may need to go back and check it one more time, I am using the Di-optic sight, small aperture, and it may be that I am not used to it.

Other than maybe having a sight that is machined a bit off, what do you guys think could cause me to need to use so much windage?

The fiance's rifle also shot well, but we need to get her a BUIS and a proper scope. The cheap red dot I had sitting around and threw on it is too low, so sighting in really wasn't possible. The rounds hit way too low, even with the elevation cranked to max.

But as I said, the rifles both shot well and functioned great, so I am happy about that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Looked good. Palmetto state armory has sales on the strikefire every once in a while for way less that $200. Just keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I seen it was $169 for the Vortex...

people have been telling me to get the Aimpoint, and I know it is a very good red dot, with awesome battery life... But I need convincing that it is worth more than double the cost of the Vortex for me. If I was planning on extended hard use, it would be a definite thing that it was worth the cost, but I won't be dragging my rifle through the mud anytime soon. I need durability enough to survive clumsiness and occasional hard use really. Sure the Aimpoint has a smaller dot, and you can turn it on and leave it for three years, which is nice, but do I really need that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
check out primary arms...they have a bunch of decent red dots at very good prices. not aimpoints obviously, but unless you are going to war, i'm sure they would get the job done
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
How tough are primary arms? I hear that the Vortex is pretty robust.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How tough are primary arms? I hear that the Vortex is pretty robust.
View Quote
Check this out :p

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I will check that out.

Also... the replacement bolt arrived today, and I am very impressed with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Updated the OP with a range report.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top