Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 8:40:34 PM EDT
I have a rookie question. I have all my parts for upper and lower coming. My dilemma is barrels and handgaurds. I am not savvy on carbine and rifle nomenclature. I want a 16" barrel. Nothing fancy. M4 profile I believe?? I'm going DI that I get. I'm confused on gas blocks. Also can a rifle length Magpul MOE handgaurd go on that barrel. I'm sure this topic has been beat into groud but I can't do proper research on my smartphone. Can anyone help me out. I'm new at this. I purchased the PSA kit with Magpul MOE stock and grip.  LPK, BCG and charging handle for 229.00 got the PSA A3 flattop blem upped for 59 and an upper parts kit. Its in Dark Earth. PSA has rifle length Magpul MOE handgaurd in Dark Earth on sale now. I would like to get barrel from PSA but are out of stock.

Thanks in advance for any help u can provide. I have been lurking and learning here for a few months. I have learned so much. Thanks again all
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest a Midlength gas system for a 16" barrel.  Rifle length gas on a 16" is sometimes problematic, 16" carbine gas are common but I recommend the midlength in preference to carbine in that barrel length.  If you just want the M4 profile look that's your choice, but there are better options.

Rifle handguards won't fit unless you get a rifle gas barrel, OR, you get a barrel type commonly called a "dissipator".  So-called dissipator barrels use a shorter carbine or midlength gas system underneath a longer rifle-length handguard.  Again, I would suggest one with a midlength gas system instead of a carbine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
when you hear rifle/midlength/carbine it doesnt mean handgaurd length...it refers to the gas system...im goin to get a 16in with a midlength gas sytem....then get a free float tube the length i prefer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when you hear rifle/midlength/carbine it doesnt mean handgaurd length...it refers to the gas system...im goin to get a 16in with a midlength gas sytem....then get a free float tube the length i prefer.
View Quote

In the standard/common AR15 configurations, it does mean handguard length.

Yes the extended free float handguard style configuration is now popular with enthusiasts, but somewhat less likely that a consumer would see one on the shelf at a gun shop.  And OP would not be able to use the MOE handguards he asked about with that kind of configuration.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for the speedy replies. That answers one of my questions. The Magpul MOE handgaurd on sale at PSA is in Rifle lenght so that wont work.

Do you guys have any advice on a decent barrel and which gas block would be my best choice. I am going with just flip up sights for now. Red Dot or Eoutech Optics will be later! Remember this is a low cost build but DO NOT want any crap either. Thanks again everyone.

My Dad used to tell me to learn 1 new thing a day! On this board I learn new things every minute! Brain Overload.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I perfer a 16" midlength gas as well. I run a 13" handguard, and find the size comfortable in relation to my body, and barrel length extending from the handguard (muzzle device will affect length as well). I think a rifle length handguard would be better suited toward a precision setup using a bipod, but in a shorter configuration would add just a bit of unnecessary weight hanging farther out that add's no benefit. Light options though for a 15" or longer handguard would be remote switches such as on a surefire, but they can tend to be problematic at times.

My perferred gas block would be the Geissele super gas block, as i like the low profile nature of it, and the company that stands behind it. Not much that can go wrong with a gas block as it has 0 moving parts and such, but its nice knowing that if i have a problem with any of my parts, when i call im talking to the people that build those parts. It's just nice to know :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
OK Thanks to you guys for the help, I now know what I want.

16" barrel in M4 standard profile. Mid Length Gas system. I will be buying the Magpul MOE Mid Length Handguard in FDE  to match the rest of my MOE furniture. So here is my next question. Does anyone have a decent barrel recommendation now that I know what exactly I need/want? Any suggestions would be great!

This is what I have (being shipped so far)

PSA MOE FDE Lower Build Kit & 5.56 Premium Full-Auto Profile BCG with Charging Handle  $229.99 (labor day sale)

PSA AR15 Upper Build Kit   $24.99

PSA Stripped Blem AR-14 Upper Receiver  $59.99 (labor Day Sale) it went on sale yesterday for 49.99!, I called and tried to get the $10 diff but its been more than 24hrs since I ordered. Oh well its only $10
Just a side note: PSA's customer service was and has been Excellent (I was skeptical due to some posts)

I am buying a lower receiver from a local armory http://zakarmory.com/
I really like the idea of it having my hometown stamped on the lower. $165 (I know its a tad pricey. Its exceptional quality and I can go in to them for any issues)

So far I have $321.97 spent. I'm hoping to build this as economical as possible. NOT CHEAP!

Thanks again all!

What do u all think? Am I on the Right Path?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK Thanks to you guys for the help, I now know what I want.

16" barrel in M4 standard profile. Mid Length Gas system. I will be buying the Magpul MOE Mid Length Handguard in FDE  to match the rest of my MOE furniture. So here is my next question. Does anyone have a decent barrel recommendation now that I know what exactly I need/want? Any suggestions would be great!

This is what I have (being shipped so far)

PSA MOE FDE Lower Build Kit & 5.56 Premium Full-Auto Profile BCG with Charging Handle  $229.99 (labor day sale)

PSA AR15 Upper Build Kit   $24.99

PSA Stripped Blem AR-14 Upper Receiver  $59.99 (labor Day Sale) it went on sale yesterday for 49.99!, I called and tried to get the $10 diff but its been more than 24hrs since I ordered. Oh well its only $10
Just a side note: PSA's customer service was and has been Excellent (I was skeptical due to some posts)

I am buying a lower receiver from a local armory http://zakarmory.com/
I really like the idea of it having my hometown stamped on the lower. $165 (I know its a tad pricey. Its exceptional quality and I can go in to them for any issues)

So far I have $321.97 spent. I'm hoping to build this as economical as possible. NOT CHEAP!

Thanks again all!

What do u all think? Am I on the Right Path?
View Quote

Should be comppletely fine, people love certain brands, and im guilty of it too, but afaik PSA is a reputable company that will serve you well. Obviously people can say XXX brand is better, but normally that will come with a price tag thats 10x as much, and can convey a sense of elitism. I have 12 different brands in my frankengun lol.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top