Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2013 8:47:22 AM EDT
ok....I'm thinking of building a dissipator..  seems to me from all the threads I've read..
a true dissipator is....
rifle gas .....and standard A2 front sight post.
A2 or A1 upper....
Iron sights.....

tell me your ideals on a dissy build.
thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Read this thread.

Dissipator picture/discussion thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/509821_.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks  !!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It is not obvious from the pics, but a Dissapator is a carbine gas system hidden underneath rifle lenth handguards.   The FSB you see does not include a gas system.

In the pics on the above thread, you can see the FSB without any roll pins installed to hold the gas tube in place.

Beyond that, the carbine gas system allows you a lot of latitude for anything you want to build.  If it floats your boat, go for it.  I personally can't stand the style as it looks so wrong.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is not obvious from the pics, but a Dissapator is a carbine gas system hidden underneath rifle lenth handguards.   The FSB you see does not include a gas system.

In the pics on the above thread, you can see the FSB without any roll pins installed to hold the gas tube in place.

Beyond that, the carbine gas system allows you a lot of latitude for anything you want to build.  If it floats your boat, go for it.  I personally can't stand the style as it looks so wrong.
View Quote

Nope.

The classic method is a rifle length gas system, and some vendors still try to get away with that, but it presents problems with cycling. I don't know of anyone building a carbine gassed dissy. Best way is the way PSA or Spike's does theirs, midlength gas, trouble free and smooth as silk, longer (iron) sight radius, and more real estate on the handguard which is nice, especially if you have longer arms.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a PSA Dissipator with the hand guards removed so you can see the gas tube set up. As someone else mentioned, the gas block under the front sight post is non-functional. The "real" gas block is a lo-pro under the hand guards.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/blil/Guns/014_zps231a521c.jpg
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
well...heck.. i built a carbine gas dissipator tonight.. bergara barrel 1/8 twist wylde chamber.
used a YHM lo profile gas block .. and wow !! like to never got it on there !!! tight !! with the screws all the way out. no gas leaks there I'm sure.
then put a YHM clamp on flip up front sight .. i did use an old gas tube cut down for the handguard cap.
turned out pretty nice.
but im still working on the other dissipator with the rifle gas..
we'll get it going soon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
The first AR I bought was a DPMS Dissipator with the rifle length gas system. It shoots great and has never failed me. I like it so much that I put a RRA 2 stage trigger in it and it is the gun I use when I get to go to a 3Gun Match. Its gone through a lot of different iterations, but, it is back to basic A2 stock, standard A2 forearm, and iron sights. I seem to like it best that way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first AR I bought was a DPMS Dissipator with the rifle length gas system. It shoots great and has never failed me. I like it so much that I put a RRA 2 stage trigger in it and it is the gun I use when I get to go to a 3Gun Match. Its gone through a lot of different iterations, but, it is back to basic A2 stock, standard A2 forearm, and iron sights. I seem to like it best that way.
View Quote

yes... great minds think alike... mine is back to planejane ..  A1 stock .. and Daniel defense A1 rear buis.
i too run rock rivers two stage triggers.
I've  been trying to find out   if theDelton and DPMS  barrels are made by the same company.
my gas port is .098   DPMS s  110 ..
I've trimmed my barrel from Hbar  to the thickness of a M4 cutout..handles great.
its one of my favorite ARs ..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top