Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2013 7:59:09 AM EDT
Anyone else ever have this problem?  The Vortex has a "skirt" that fits over the barrel shoulder to conceal the gap between barrel and flash hider.  My barrel is a WOA SDM and measures .750"  the inside of the Vortex is just a hair smaller and won't fit over the barrel.  Out of spec maybe?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it may be, measure the I.D. of the "skirt" and email Smith about it. I'm sure they'd take care of an out of spec product.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they made for barrels that have the little step before the flash suppressor?   Not sure if your barrel has this step or not.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Its not the Vortex.  My barrel is just to large.  If anyone else runs into this issue I've found that AR15barrels.com can open up the skirt of the vortex to fit larger barrels.  The charge is $15 +$5 return shipping.  It seems that I've read some bad reviews of AR15barrels.com  anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Contacted ADCO about modifying the Vortex.  The said they usually just remove the "skirt" as opening it up is a pain.  I'll most likely go this route as I've had good experiences with them in the past.  Hope this info is help to someone else.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Put your calipers on the two pieces.
The barrel should be .740" (or less) and the flash hider should be cut to accomodate that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The vortex is designed to overlap the barrel and requires no shims or crush washer it is designed to tighten as you shoot it.

you can grind the  lip off or use a file  or have it turened off.  i would just have it turned off since it will be flush against the barrel anyway.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top