Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/10/2013 3:48:52 AM EDT
So my son and I are working on what we call a "functional fantasy firearm."  I love my ars and really wanted to get my son involved. So we decided to create an ar based on the scifi genre steampunk. I'm just throwing it out there to see what you guys think. My buddys just cringe when they look at photos of our progress. Most of the parts are old and pretty banged up and not likely to have ever seen a serious build again. We are using co2 paintball stuff for the "steam" power look. The tank serves as a butt stock and the buffer tube works really nice as a cheek weld.  I still need to run some hose out of the rear of the buffer tube and connect up with the pressure gauge. Would also like to add a huge old school scope like doc brown made in back to the future 3.  We will probably custom fit some leather and padding to the buffer tube for cheek cushion.  I also need an old flashligiht that is big and bulky for railed gas block.   So what do u guys think?  What else should we add?  

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
dafuk?!?!  interesting lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay... I dont like "steampunk"....

BUT what you did there is pretty cool.  Origonal for sure.  I would love to break that out at my local fudd range just for kicks.  It looks like a movie prop toy gun... you have my approval.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I dig it - very cool brother.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Umm... Flashlight for weapons light???
Try CARBIDE LAMP!!!!!
BTW, nice to see something buck the mold!

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks fellas, it almost looks like something out of borderlands. We were also toying with a double trigger like we see on paintball guns.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
a carbide lamp has the right look but would need to find one that runs horizontal and not so veritcial. But yes that is definitley the direction.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Okay... I dont like "steampunk"....

BUT what you did there is pretty cool.  Origonal for sure.  I would love to break that out at my local fudd range just for kicks.  It looks like a movie prop toy gun... you have my approval.

LOL! This is exactly how I was going to open.  Heck, I'll even go once step further and say, I really just don't get the fascination.  Buuuttttt!

I like it! I like it a lot!

JJ

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear ya. But my boy likes the style so he is my scapegoat. I could also use an old brass telescope or survey transit for the scope.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got an old trike horn I could use. Nice touch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks cool ! The barrel looks like 16 inches, if it is you could add some kind of wood stock and attach it to the tank on the bottom.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I think its great!
Perhaps some sort of heat shield between the forward grip and the barrel? You don't want to be out looking cool and get burned.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
While not my cup of tea, I give you props for doing something unique.
The world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same stuff and configured our weapons the same way.

The only thing I will say is that the exposed gas tube worries me. It is not very strong and any good wack and the tube is shot.
Maybe you can come up with something to slip over it. You can even cut most of it out to be skeletonized.
I would hate to see your range day cut short by a bent tube.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks cool ! The barrel looks like 16 inches, if it is you could add some kind of wood stock and attach it to the tank on the bottom.

Ironwood Designs and Brownells have wooden stock sets for the AR15.  I think the wooden pistol grip would seem more Steampunkish that the plastic.  Also, running with idea of the post I quoted, the OP could switch from a carbine to a rifle buffer tube and use one of the wooden A2 stocks.  With the a little cutting and filing the stock and a bit for of an angle on the way the tank is mounted, the tank could be made to flow into the wooden stock.

Also, I like the idea of a brass telescope.  Maybe use some sort of see-thru (or under) scope mounts to allow the use of the irons and have the brass telescope act as a rifle mounted spotting scope.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Unique. Interesting. Cool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree about the heat shield.
The original thought was using an antique lamp or candle stick holder as a handguard/forearm, just haven't found one and I don't think it would shield the heat well. I also thought about using a wood ak foregrip as it has the extra wood on it. I don't know though.
Maybe a 1" pipe cut in half circle could run from gas block to receiver to provide gas tube protection. I do kinda like the skeleton look along the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Looked at those wood set ups. They r nice but a little pricey, But would be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Ha, I'm willing to bet that Biden will recommend this in a press conference lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looked at those wood set ups. They r nice but a little pricey, But would be perfect.

There are some talented woodworkers on Arfcom.  One of them may be willing to make a stock for a better price.  Ask in GD but brace yourself for GD type comments.

ETA:  It needs some sort of shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I was thinking a modified heat shield from a Winchester Model 12 Trench gun would be good up front. Love this BTW
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Interesting, I like it.

Needs some random aged brass parts and gears of indeterminate function still, though, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Shortie heat shield, good idea. I wonder if I could use 2 shotgun heatshielsds? 1 high, 1 low and still see the gas tube, while it would now be protected. Plus it might add to a bulkier look while still having the skeletonized thing going.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Gears n brass would definitely put us in the right genre. But where to put the gears? A skeleton grip with gears would look cool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]
That's pretty freaking cool man, makes me want to go home and play some Fallout
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]
You still have so much to work with in the selector switch, bolt and mag releases, etc. I cannot wait to see the final product of this build.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Whoa, I like it!  Definitely needs some more wood and copper and rivets!  Maybe some leather too.  Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#28]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks fellas, it almost looks like something out of borderlands. We were also toying with a double trigger like we see on paintball guns.

This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first photo. Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Needs more Turnbull .308, the case hardened upper and lower with wood furniture.

There are both long and short tube brass scopes out there replicating those from the 1800s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn! Just when I thought I had all my builds plans laid out, now I gotta go start on another one.  IMHO lokks great! Think I'll go think about my new truck gun a little
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#33]
F'n' cool! Really nicely done, I like it just about how it is (careful not to overdo it, might detract from the end result). I love the idea of a brass tube "scope". WRT the pistol grip, wood-no. You have wood up front, the plastic is a nice contrast. If you want different, maybe cover that with leather? (Distressed black). JM2¢. Carry on,
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I like it a lot! I would love to see a beat up wood stock, maybe with some metal banding/inlay.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like it a lot! I would love to see a beat up wood stock, maybe with some metal banding/inlay.

A brass buttplate on a wooden buttstock would be cool.  Also, I was thinking about that stock that Troy makes with the GPS unit attached.  If the OP could turn up an affordable wooden buttstock and a small, flip-open brass compass, he could use a dremel to make a recess to imbed the brass compass into the wooden stock.  Unfortunately, I just sold a brass compass that would have been perfect last weekend at a yardsale for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#36]
great stuff guys keep it coming. I just ordered some small gears from ebay n i'll adapt those for safety selector, bolt release, and mag release. Picked up a heatshield and will mess around a bit. Probably add a few gears to one side of the gas block and keep the other side and bottom rails clean for possible lamp. I dont mind rerouting the co2 set up differently as I originally wanted a wood butt stock.  My only fear is making this lady so heavy my boy wont be able to hold it up and shoot her.  A metal skeleton stock that resembles a sharktail might be cool too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#37]
cool build!!

tagged for the outcome!
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#38]
as a steampunk fan, I get where you're going.  you made different choices than I would have made.  Id look into copperwashed hose clamps for every clamp you have to give that color contrast.  I really don't care for the placement of the co2 bottle.  it doesn't look functional at all.  maybe if it were online with the buffertube and the line tied back into the forward assist or something like that (you're never gonna need forward assist on this gun anyhow).  maybe even shrouding the gas tube in copper or brass colored metal hose.  I also saw a brass A2 style flash hider on gunnyssurplus.com that would look awesome here if patina a bit.

I really don't care for the forward grip but I also don't have any better ideas.  maybe something that looked like a grease gun handle... I donno.

Anyhow, its your guys build.  You've done great!  As long as you enjoy it, fuck me, right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I could see it in Mad Max
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
as a steampunk fan, I get where you're going.  you made different choices than I would have made.  Id look into copperwashed hose clamps for every clamp you have to give that color contrast.  I really don't care for the placement of the co2 bottle.  it doesn't look functional at all.  maybe if it were online with the buffertube and the line tied back into the forward assist or something like that (you're never gonna need forward assist on this gun anyhow).  maybe even shrouding the gas tube in copper or brass colored metal hose.  I also saw a brass A2 style flash hider on gunnyssurplus.com that would look awesome here if patina a bit.

I really don't care for the forward grip but I also don't have any better ideas.  maybe something that looked like a grease gun handle... I donno.

Anyhow, its your guys build.  You've done great!  As long as you enjoy it, fuck me, right?

No your input is valid. the co2 placement is the same as my old school paintball gun and actually serves as a functional butt stock. not my first choice either but.... It also needs more hose to take it from the gauge to the buffer tube or forward assist (hadn't thought about that). I like the Idea of putting the gas tube in a tube though. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
A brass look on the safety selector, mag release, and other exposed lower parts could look good.  Cerakote doesn't have shiny colors that would work but there are some that look kind of like dull brass.  Alternately a powder coater could to the exposed portion of those parts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#42]
A Krinkov Flash Hider might work as well. It has a flared/belled muzzle extension.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
The side of the magweell is begging for a small pressure gauge/thermometer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#44]
something like this is on my list of things I want to do sometime

OP check out Hack N Mod for other ideas on stuff to add
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#45]
You have mentioned a skeletonized stock.  Have you considered looking for a used ACE skeleton stock.  You could remove the foam padding then hit it with a brass colored metallic paint.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm like the other guy. Don't like where the air bottle is. Were it me. I'd cut the bottom off your Adj. buffer tube. Cut the end of the bottle to the Dia. of the Delta ring, then tack it to the ring in a couple of places. You then could re plumb it, with your brass or copper tubing. Leaving the gage on the bottom. Copper tubing is real easy to bend ( put a spring around it) so it won't kink.
You could also have that bottle copper plated pretty cheap. It's the first step in Chrome plating.
I think it would look cool then. Besides it would give you a better cheek weld.
You could also plug the barrel and have it copper plated too.
You are going to shoot it, correct?
That other guys thought on a Brass but plate, would look great screwed on the back of that tube, also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, I'm not too familiar with the steampunk concept.  Does the CO2 bottle need to be functional?.  I really don't like how it's placed right now, looks waaaay to much like just a stupid paintball gun.  If you didn't need the functionality of the bottle, you could cut off the top of it, and fit it over the buffer tube like a shroud.  That would make it look totally badass, and still give you the butt-stock you need.  If not, maybe you can fit the bottle along the side of the gun somehow?  I liked one of the poster's idea of piping the tube through the forward assist.

If you want a crazy looking sight, you could always buy one of the thinner-tube AR scopes and then shroud that in copper or brass with stuff stuck on it.

Amazon sells screw on fake silencers that don't really do much, but for your purposes might help.  One I like has the threads at the front of the suppresor, which makes it shroud the majority of the barrel (instead of threading onto the end of the barrel, and sticking out).  Fake Can

You could paint this up, stick stuff on, etc. to your liking for looks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#48]
The co2 n steampunk accessories are purely cosmetic. I had thought about cutting the tank to shroud the buffer tube n then use a stock like this

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=650750

A wood stock that looked like this grip stock would be ideal.

Do u guys think I should take all anodized ar parts down to a clean aluminum/steel?
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Check some black powder hobby sites for the double set trigger setups, brass trigger guards and buttplates. Quite a few have wooden handguards that are decked out in brass and heat treated / antiqued steel and such. I have one at home that is held on by a couple of brass plates on either side of the barrel with a simple heat treated / flattened sort of a spike that you press through them. This is probably your best bet for a replica of a long brass rifle scope as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#50]
What about mounting the CO2 bottle over the piston tube and fitting a brass butt plate to that? Run the line from the bottom of the tank to the pistol grip for aesthetics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top