Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2013 11:09:11 PM EDT
Are there plans online to make your own?

May have access to a CNC Mill & Laser Cutter/Engraver and want to have everything ready for when my lowers arrive.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
For a set of basic side plates... to secure your 80% receivers
check out the guide by Ray-Vin!!

Ray-Vin's Guide

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the info.

Curious if anyone has put that info into AutoCAD or SolidWorks. I hate to duplicate work that's already out there.

If not I'll have to get it running again on my MacBook Pro, but I'll defiantly share my work with the community.

I emailed these guys, because I could have access to a 3D printer. No word from them yet.

http://www.advancedrifles.com/3d-printed-jig-version-2-0/
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
So I put those side plate plans into SolidWorks... If anyone wants a copy here you go - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69578617/ARJig.zip

My problem with this is these are just side plates, no provisions for putting in the pivot & takedown pins in to firmly secure the lower. I'm thinking I have to start over and make new plans that include these holes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Updated the ZIP file to include my updated version of the jig, a 3d file of the lower I used to check the fit, and a PDF of the book where I got all the info.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you save the file in a format that is Autodesk Inventor friendly?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Just curious here... My CAD program won't take solidworks files, but will take STEP type of files (extension STP (?)) can you make the file available in that format? I tried iges files, but it will only deal with the 2D type of iges file. TIA
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been on a show in the People's Republic of California so I've had zero time to work on this. I have no clue what SolidWorks can export, by when I get a free chance (we wrap June 10th) I'll take a look.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Silly question.... But why not make your own receiver from a block of aluminum?

http://cncguns.com/projects/ar15lower.html

Grab the SolidWorks e-drawings,  and start from there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not that skilled. I've taken a year of machine classes at the local community college, so I'm comfortable milling a pocket and drilling three holes. It's a LOT more work to machine an entire lower. I would just buy a stripped lower, but I want a few guns off the books and my custom roll marks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top