Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:46:14 AM EDT
Anyone know how these work?
pictures of the internals?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember, hydraulic systems perform differently based on ambient temperature.  You will notice a *significant* difference in a hydraulic operating system at -40F and at 110F.  There have been reports of hydraulic buffer systems causing issues in extreme cold.  Google-fu will help you in your research.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Remember, hydraulic systems perform differently based on ambient temperature.  You will notice a *significant* difference in a hydraulic operating system at -40F and at 110F.  There have been reports of hydraulic buffer systems causing issues in extreme cold.  Google-fu will help you in your research.

Yes there will be a small amount of change from the fluid being cold.

Now, you can mitigate that with a full synthetic oil...if the mfg hasn't already done this...

Synthetic oil costs about 4 times the money...so I'm sure the cheaper units will be using a natural or cheaper oil...

Just like a 100% synthetic oil pours the same at -20 at it does at 120 for engine oils...ask someone about it running in diesel engines once...

These days there is a synthetic oil that will do what you need...

Just my take on it...and yes I use lots of synthetic oils in the super cold...it -15 today down to -18 or so tomorrow...and that isn't a wind chill...

Bret
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Royal Purple Hydraulic Oil, its the best stuff on the market and it has many different ranges, additives for longevity and leaks. Its the only thing I put in the rear end of my truck, and it has many uses. Marine, gears, automotive, etc.. you name it. You can't miss it when you walk into autozone or whatever part's store you have its the only purple bottle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep,

Royal purple I've used it too...

But my friend stock Amsoil and it's fairly local...so I goto Amsoil...

But either is good, I think the only diff if the label and maybe a slight different additives...

They are bot good to go...

I use only synthetic oils...brwt
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top