Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2013 6:24:14 AM EDT
Hey all, been a lurker for a while now, reading a lot. I'm heading to Korea for a one year tour so I have time to get the parts as I go instead of dropping a cool 1500 on a dime. Just want a get an idea of what I'm looking at as far as quality. Here is my list of parts. I'm planning on a dark earth build with most MOE parts.

Stag lower complete (if/when it ever becomes available)
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI)
BCMGUNFIGHTER Mod 5 charging handle
BCM SS410 16" 1/8 twist Stripped barrel
BCM Mod 1 Compensator
BCM Low-Pro Gas Block (750 to match the barrel)

Magpul Gen 2 MBUS (how good are these compared to the M4 military version, what I'm used to shooting?)

Vltor MUR (Modular Upper Receiver) w/ Bolt Assist & Shell Deflector (M4)

I know this isn't a complete rifle, just want to get an idea of what I have so far. This will be my first build, but I am familiar with the M4 model.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Everything to me looks fine so far besides the Mbus. It is nothing like what you're using. Look at Troy battle sights. I had the Mbus and hated it. I've got two Troys now. Don't be too picky on the LPK. I've used 11 Rock River Arms LPKs and have never had an issue. BCM is good to go.

Are you headed to Seoul?

Edit- sprelling
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
looks good
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#3]
you have a good rifle there but rethink the mbus. i had that on my last rifle and i hated them. if you plan on putting optics on it and the Mbus is just for back up only then it might be ok but even then spend the extra money on a different setup i plan on going with a MI BUS for my next rifle
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad I asked about the MBUS. I shoot more accurate with iron sights than with red dots, at least the CCO that we use. I want one that is relatively similar or better than the standard mil iron sights. I won't be doing much tactical shooting where I need to sight in quickly as opposed to accurately, so I'll look at other iron sights then. But I do want flip-ups so I can use optics later.

And I'm going to Osan AB, so yes just south of Seoul.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Stuff should be G2G... but if it was me I'd get that lower in your possession before you depart.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully I can order one when i get my taxes back, but I haven't been able to even find many online. Especially the Stag I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hopefully I can order one when i get my taxes back, but I haven't been able to even find many online. Especially the Stag I was hoping for.

Pick up what you can find. Only random lowers will be coming up in stock for a while and whatever you find, will sell out quick.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
code red firearms is one of the few lowers I have seen taking orders for a good price without being extremely marked up.

BCM is good stuff.

I found some FN 16" barrels that look good and bought a couple.

I like the magpul buis but I use optics.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top