Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2012 7:59:35 AM EDT
Got 2 minor questions. The first is when I do a build and tighten the castle nut the tube clocks and isn't lined up with the upper anymore. I back off the nut and redo it. But it usually take about 8 tries.
Is there a better way to tighten the castle nut and keep the tube lined up?
The second is I recently put one of these butt stocks on a post ban build. So it's pinned to the tube. The lever in the bottom is made to slide foward and back. is there a cool way to secure the lever and not have screws visable?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Mil-Spec-M4-Stock-p/stock%20only%20m4%20black%20-%20gen2.htm
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
How much is it coming off center? From what I have found, It is normal for it to go off center slightly.

When you put on the end plate, the bump at the bottom should face the receiver and engage the hole in the receiver, this keeps the end plate from moving.
There is a tab in the hole on the end plate for the buffer tube to go through, it engages a channel in the buffer tube.
This locks everything together, so you will be slightly off center due to tolerances in all of the parts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Got 2 minor questions. The first is when I do a build and tighten the castle nut the tube clocks and isn't lined up with the upper anymore. I back off the nut and redo it. But it usually take about 8 tries.
Is there a better way to tighten the castle nut and keep the tube lined up?  

Hold the receiver extension in place with one hand while tightening the castle nut with the other.

Quoted:
The second is I recently put one of these butt stocks on a post ban build. So it's pinned to the tube. The lever in the bottom is made to slide foward and back. is there a cool way to secure the lever and not have screws visable?

JB Weld will secure it, but I don't know if that's "cool".
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Usually when buffer tubes are moving around like that there are out of spec parts involved and/or the builder is over-torquing the castle nut.
38-42 ft lbs. max.

As stated, the end cap has a key that keys into the keyway on the tube to keep the tube from moving.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top