Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:13:19 PM EDT
Hey y'all. Haven't been around here too long but have another question for your talented minds.

Working on my first AR build and have the lower completely assembled... only problem is the bolt catch lever is stiff as a board. The spring and detent were installed correctly but for some reason the catch is so stiff it will hold in in the "open" and "closed" positions and everywhere in between. Used some oil but to no avail. Any advice?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey y'all. Haven't been around here too long but have another question for your talented minds.

Working on my first AR build and have the lower completely assembled... only problem is the bolt catch lever is stiff as a board. The spring and detent were installed correctly but for some reason the catch is so stiff it will hold in in the "open" and "closed" positions and everywhere in between. Used some oil but to no avail. Any advice?

I know this sounds obvious but make sure you used the right spring and that it's not binding up in the channel. Also how loose did the catch fit in the slot in the receiver? What about the roll pin hole to bolt catch fit?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, made sure it was the right spring and detent. Before I put the roll pin in the catch moved with some generosity in the channel. Thinking on ordering a few more roll pins for another go around. Are poorly size roll pins this big of a problem? Everything else on this lower went together with relative ease...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Bushmaster lower kit and the Bolt Catch had some burrs and was about .002 thicker than the DPMS kit Bolt Catch. On the Lower I made from scratch which I made to Mil-Spec dimmensions the Bushy would not ailow a .0025 shim before plating. If its a Bushy you may need to pull it out and deburr it a little.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a S&W MP15 lower with a PSA LPK. I kinda F'ed up (first build mind you) the end of this roll pin so I ordered two more DPMS as a possible solution.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I like to dry fit the bolt catch and operate it with the shank of the correct size drill bit.
I found an out of spec bolt catch (bore too tight) on the last build.
Installing it would have caused your symptom.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the hammer down?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top