Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2012 7:45:15 AM EDT
@ Midway
This 16" AR-15 barrel is constructed from Mil-Spec 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, and has been finished inside and out with Voodoo Barrels' proprietary QPQ Melonite treatment that bonds with the metal on a molecular level. Also referred to as salt bath nitriding, this treatment produces an extremely hard, slick surface on steel that resists carbon adhesion and increases corrosion resistance, extending a barrel's service life by reducing the friction produced inside the bore upon firing for a net decrease in bore surface wear over time. Nitriding converts the barrel steel's surface without any build-up, retaining all of the benefits of traditional chrome lining without suffering the accuracy degradation commonly encountered due to uneven application of chrome inside the barrel's bore. The end result is a barrel that's capable of producing accuracy on par with a match stainless steel tube, while also exhibiting the longevity and resilience of a chrome lined, mil-spec barrel.

In the post Sandy Hook Hysteria I ordered this barrel.... Didn't notice until afterwards that it was not Chrome Lined, but some magical process that makes it just as durable. Anyone have and feedback or knowledge in this area? Is the above just some BS that the marketing department typed up?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion it doesn't matter. Chrome lining was developed for the military
To extend the life of a barrel, you are not likely to ever shoot it
Enough to to notice a difference.  Again just my opinion
But I don't pay attention to it in any of my projects
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Nitriding or Meloniting, is the same as Tenifer that Glock uses on their barrels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

I have two Melonited barrels.  Accurate and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@ Midway
This 16" AR-15 barrel is constructed from Mil-Spec 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, and has been finished inside and out with Voodoo Barrels' proprietary QPQ Melonite treatment that bonds with the metal on a molecular level. Also referred to as salt bath nitriding, this treatment produces an extremely hard, slick surface on steel that resists carbon adhesion and increases corrosion resistance, extending a barrel's service life by reducing the friction produced inside the bore upon firing for a net decrease in bore surface wear over time. Nitriding converts the barrel steel's surface without any build-up, retaining all of the benefits of traditional chrome lining without suffering the accuracy degradation commonly encountered due to uneven application of chrome inside the barrel's bore. The end result is a barrel that's capable of producing accuracy on par with a match stainless steel tube, while also exhibiting the longevity and resilience of a chrome lined, mil-spec barrel.

In the post Sandy Hook Hysteria I ordered this barrel.... Didn't notice until afterwards that it was not Chrome Lined, but some magical process that makes it just as durable. Anyone have and feedback or knowledge in this area? Is the above just some BS that the marketing department typed up?

You worried about the gov't banning barrels???
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
@ Midway

I don't think a lot of people exactly know what will be banned.    I don't think anybody knows what may be banned.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
@ Midway

The Main concern I have is 30 rd magazines. I have plenty of them.
After that (if you look at the old AWB) on the list is Folding/telescoping stock, Pistol Grip, Bayonet Mount, Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one, Grenade launcher. Of these the only one I am concerned about is the threaded Barrel. Therefore I bought a few "Pre-ban" barrels.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.  Nice melonited barrel.  I really think the salt bath nitriding is superior to chrome...
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool.  Nice melonited barrel.  I really think the salt bath nitriding is superior to chrome...

can you back that up with a bit more insight?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@ Midway

I don't think a lot of people exactly know what will be banned.    I don't think anybody knows what may be banned.  

Nothing is gonna be banned. BHO wont EO it because he is afraid of the repercussions, thats why he "urged congress" to do it. And I am glad to burst everyone's bubble in stating that congress wont do it. Too many R's and D's are pro gun for anything to go down. MAYBE a high cap mag ban but thats a big maybe..
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@ Midway

Nothing is gonna be banned. BHO wont EO it because he is afraid of the repercussions, thats why he "urged congress" to do it. And I am glad to burst everyone's bubble in stating that congress wont do it. Too many R's and D's are pro gun for anything to go down. MAYBE a high cap mag ban but thats a big maybe..

This ^^, Romney was gonna push for the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@ Midway

I agree whole heartily with your comment. I don't think they could get anything through the Senate, let alone the house... long shot on the 30 round mags through the Senate, but most likely dies in the house.

I have to say that I am not totally against the background check thing though.... If we could just implement something similar for voters... :-P
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top