Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2012 2:43:11 PM EDT
Hey all,

I was intending to build with a set of Sun Devil Mfg. matched receivers in FDE. I've been checking in every week or so for the last month and change, and they keep telling me that it was going to be a week or two, yadayadayada.

This week (today), the response was: "The person who has been in charge of our colored parts left for a month. FDE is delayed by a couple of weeks."

My receivers are now the only parts I need. Anybody know of other brands that make comparable FDE receivers for around the same price? Pricing on the Sun Devils was $380 + 9% tax for the set (slickside upper).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Cerakote?
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that getting receivers cerakoted is an option; the question is how much will it run me compared to something I could potentially buy (that is in-stock now).

I have found that Core15 makes cerakoted receivers, and was wondering if anybody had any info on their receivers' reliability, manufacturing, etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting a stripped lower Cerakoted or Duracoated usually only runs about at or less than $100. I usually get the upper and lower done together and have had it done for as little as $80 for both before.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Getting a stripped lower Cerakoted or Duracoated usually only runs about at or less than $100. I usually get the upper and lower done together and have had it done for as little as $80 for both before.

Cool. I'm going to contact a few places around here as I did find some places that will do coating, and I'll most likely get a better color match with Magpul's FDE furniture if they use Magpul FDE vs normal FDE for the coating.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know that getting receivers cerakoted is an option; the question is how much will it run me compared to something I could potentially buy (that is in-stock now).

I have found that Core15 makes cerakoted receivers, and was wondering if anybody had any info on their receivers' reliability, manufacturing, etc.

The Core15 uppers/lowers are excellent components, and are much nicer than a lot of other receivers currently on the market. I have built three rifles on their receivers and all were "in spec" and went together perfectly.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Krylon.

Try it, you might like it :D

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Would you happen to know any good places in the east valley to have them coated?

EDIT: Just heard back from Alternative Coatings in Peoria and they'll do new receivers together for $75 in Magpul FDE. Now I just need to figure out who has receivers locally.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
That's who I use as well.  I picked up 4 lowers yesterday at American Spirit Arms they are in N Scottsdale.  I would give Quentin Defense a call they are on your side of town.  Nothing like supporting local guys we are lucky in AZ to have so many great companies here
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want some anodized green receivers, call Quentin Defense in Gilbert, AZ.  They usually have a set in stock.  They don't have FDE as far as I know.  When I asked about it (a year ago), they stated the anodizer they use had trouble getting the FDE color correct and consistent.  If you check their Facebook page, they have a green reciever set with FDE furniture that looks great.

I have a set of 'grey' anodized reciever from Quentin that I love.  It really looks good with foliage furniture.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a picture with various parts: MI gen 2 rail, Magpul FDE vert grip, R-guns green anodized upper.  I did it to show how the various greens match up.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice I would like to use a QD billet lower on my next build they look gorgeous.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Krylon.

Try it, you might like it :D

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/dnbsoulr/cleaned.jpg

WOW Nice!

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you happen to know any good places in the east valley to have them coated?

EDIT: Just heard back from Alternative Coatings in Peoria and they'll do new receivers together for $75 in Magpul FDE. Now I just need to figure out who has receivers locally.

Is this the place?   http://www.acoating.com/

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
CMT Tactical Lexington, TN.

It is a billet lower with matching forged upper. The upper is a keyhole forging.  There is no wiggle between the upper and lower. Everything went together as it should. They use extruded 7075 AL for the billet lower. It has a burnt bronzish look. It looks great in person with Magpul FDE.

Being billet it is more expensive. You have to get a match set to get the FDE.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Whoa, didn't realize people were still replying to this thread!

So I contacted Alternative Coatings (yes, the www.acoating.com folks) yesterday and they said that they'll cerakote new receivers for $75 (not bad IMO, considering they get stellar reviews all over), and I managed to pick up a Mega forged upper/lower for ~$120 each. I wanted a billet set but ~$450 + coating is a bit out of the budget. Either way, the Mega set + coating is going to be cheaper than Sun Devil.

I'll check out Quentin Defense as well; it'd be nice to not have to drive an hour each way, though I could stop by the gun stores on the way back... ;)
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

CMT Tactical Lexington, TN.

It is a billet lower with matching forged upper. The upper is a keyhole forging.  There is no wiggle between the upper and lower. Everything went together as it should. They use extruded 7075 AL for the billet lower. It has a burnt bronzish look. It looks great in person with Magpul FDE.

Being billet it is more expensive. You have to get a match set to get the FDE.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/50_BMG/Guns/CMT1.jpg

Sweet, TY for the link!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top