Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2012 6:39:55 AM EDT
I have a CMMG M4LE with 16" barrel. I'd like to upgrade my UTG quad rail to something that is a free float, has an uninterrupted top rail, covers the gas block, is relatively easy to install and comes to within a few inches of the end of the barrel. I also don't want to spend over $200 on it, preferably something around $150 or less. I was looking at the YHM diamond series handguard in rifle length(12")...would this work on my rifle? What are some other popular choices?  

I will also need to replace my front sight with a new gas block that will fit under the rail. What are some good options that are easy to install and don't cost a lot?

Here's how mine sits currently-
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/DrHeckel/DSC01367-1.jpg

I'd like something that looks like this-
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/DrHeckel/f70fcc749e9547f268f6748e830371bc.jpg

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The easiest thing would be to cut you FSB.  There is a how to on AR15. Then you will need the tools to swap out your hand guard.  Check your Home Town Forum to see if anyone locally can lend you tools if you don't want to buy the tools.  The YHM rail will some with the barrel nut.  If you don't want to cut your FSB YHM has a nice lo pro gas block.  Check the How To thread to see the step by step.

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely cut the FSB to fit under the rail.

It's pinned so it won't come loose.

Perhaps the Troy MRF-12 would be your best bet since it won't require pulling the FSB from the gun but you'll have to cut off the delta pack off the barrel nut.

It clamps directly to the barrel nut following that.

Most barrels are parkerized after the FSB is mounted so if you decide to add an aftermarket low-pro GB, it may not cover potentially un-parkerized steel.

The YHM will require you to install their barrel nut, and it will work for what you're looking to do, but they feel rather large due to the diameter of the barrel nut they have to thread around.

HTH.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Samson/Rainier Arms Evolution - rifht price, specs, easy install...whats not to like??
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll be cutting down my FSB instead of a new gas block. I still like the YHM but the Troy looks pretty good too. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but that seems to be the case with everything lately. Another one I came across that looks fairly easy to install and in my price range is the Midwest Industries G2 FF rifle length handguard. How do they stack up? Any reason why it wouldn't work with my rifle? They have a video and it looks like once I get the FSB cut down I just need to cut the delta ring, springs and lock ring and screw the two halves together....is it that simple?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Midwest Industries makes solid rails and tubes. I have 2 of the Gen 1 SS-12 tubes. They have been worry free.

That particular model you listed does look like it will work. It is also fairly wide. Otherwise it will do fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the Midwest Industries Gen 2 drop in free float rails.  Should be in your budget - free floats and has front and rear QD attachment points.  You can cut off the delta ring and spring, cut down the fsb and bolt it on.

I've got the Centurion C4 which is another good option, but slightly past your price cap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Just recently got my Midwest Industries Gen2 T-series Free float. Feels solid and the anodizing was done nicely (FDE). Worth the money considering it's less than many other comparable handguards out there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#9]

I saw that this morning and was grabbing for my wallet when I noticed the 12" version wasn't on sale, only the 9". I considered getting it but decided I really want the longer version and didn't want to settle for something else just to save a few bucks. It is very tempting!

Thanks for the heads up though
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Troy 13" Bravo Battle Rail from aim for $170. Very nice rail. Installs over your stock barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't mind removing the FSB and all take a look at Diamondhead's V-RS "T". I just put one on my new build and really like it. Couldn't be easier to install with their barrel nut you don't have to worry about timing it. The anti rotation is built into the rail so you just slip it over the barrel nut and tighten down the 2 cap screws. It's nice and light has a good solid feel.

Not my build, from Diamondheads site.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top