Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2012 12:59:52 PM EDT
Just want to warn everybody about the Leapers UTG model 4/15 Free Float tube shown here: UTC model 4/15

This seems like a good deal for a free float tube, easy installation, slim profile, very durable, and doesn't look too shabby.  Well there is a very bad problem with this tube.  Although it attaches directly to the barrel nut (included), it cannot use any type of low profile gas blocks under it and requires that the gas block be pressed against the end with an end cap.  The interior dimensions are exactly 1.3" and I was unable to find any suitable gas blocks that would be able to clear 1.3" and have enough clearance to allow the barrel to free float without the gas block hitting the handguard (+/-.01").  Also, the attachment end for the barrel nut is <1" so a gas block would have to be delicately installed while the rail is attached if you can somehow figure a way to install a small enough block to make it a true free float.  The best I can figure, if you mill the gas tube groove in the top to a wider distance, use a cut down and pinned m4 block, you might be able to acheiver the function, however the time involved would be rediculously long for what you are paying for.  If you are looking for a cheap alternative, while using standard low profile gas blocks, I would recommend the Omega Manufacturing Free float tube.  It is very easy to install, you can get end caps designed for it, slides over almost all low profile gas blocks, and has enough clearance to sustain a true free float.

Just my opinion as I wasted $50 on this, and ended up only spending an extra $8 for one that actually has the functionality and aesthetics I wanted.  I'll probably end up cutting this one down to a 7" standard and using it in my next build for a 22lr or something so I don't feel I wasted the $.  Like I said, it looks nice but lacks the functionality.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Just an FYI but other than their brass catchers anything by UTG is junk and shouldn't be put on a real gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Some is good, some not so much.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
All you need to see is warning and UTG for those who don't know.  I cannot recommend any of their products for anything other than airsoft.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Their rail covers are ok when they don't slide off and
the four rail clamp on hand guard is ok but it is
super heavy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I read some really bad reviews but nothing with anything solid with definitions so I wrote this up.  I only got it because I wanted a temp setup so I can get a good one later but I might end up keeping this Omega Manufacturing one for awhile, as It has a really good feel to it.  Also, if anybody needs a low profile gas block that can swing 1.5" in diameter, RedXArms has round cone ones for $17 and free shipping.  I put a few things on that order to help them with shipping costs, all were pretty good deals.  Flash hider $7, gas block $17, gas tube/pin $17.  If I found that place sooner, I would've added more stuff to it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Not pro UTG or anything or even own any UTG products, but just wanted to point out that these are the old style FF rails from UTG and not the newer ones that have actually gotten decent reviews from those who use them. I have played a bit with a friends S&W that comes with the new style and it reminds my a lot in the feel of my DD OMEGA which I incidentally have on a S&W. And being similar rifles besides the rails , they feel about the same in weight as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a link?  I'll check it out and add a few more points into the first post.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
oh I see, you're talking about the pro model that is low profile compatible.  I don't see it being worth $100, it's still a cheap brand and uses things like "anti rotation tabs" in order to keep it straight.  Having those tabs visible from the outside makes me not want to use that product.  I'm not sure about the functionality and ease of installation/use though, as I have not had one of those.  They do still sell the other style though, and I still say they aren't really worth the effort, or cost for the pro.

UTG model 4/15 pro
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
They do have the anti rotation tabs outside, though I don't think the are intrusive as far as looks go. I have read plenty reviews of my own rail, the DD Omega, where the reviewer bash the lack of anti rotation design though I have personally not had any issue with it and feel the omegas tabs fitting into the teeth of the delta nut sufficient.

As I said though, I don't personally own the UTG rail and while I have handled it on several occasions, I have not done any in depth research on it. Another point worth mentioning is that it was pre installed on a factory rifle and I don't know if they have any customizations of it compared to the retail version. I belive the version on the rifle had been branded smith and Wesson but not having it infront of me I don't remember for sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
While certainly not a fanboy of UTG, or anything AR that is made there, I had had good luck with a carry handle sight system for my A3.  I also made an on the cheap match sight for competition with a UTG carry handle and an American made match rear A2 sight.  It was a leap of faith, but the US parts fit the UTG carry handle fine, and it functions perfectly.  It was a budgetary thing. Saved about $40.00.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
So a $10 standard FSB, cut down was not an option?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While certainly not a fanboy of UTG, or anything AR that is made there, I had had good luck with a carry handle sight system for my A3.

I agree that the accessory parts are definitely worth saving the money on.  So far, all Leapers/UTG accessory products are perfectly fine and work great.  It's just their major components that I wouldn't put 100% reliability on.

Quoted:
So a $10 standard FSB, cut down was not an option?

I actually was debating on trying that but the forward inside diameter was about 1" so that would even be stretching it and didn't think it would be worth my time unless I very patiently tried to install the cutt down fsb from the front, after the handguard was installed, trying not to nick or damage anything in the process.  I think that is definitely an option but when you can get an omega for only $8-15 more, it seems like a much better option and have the ability to switch out the rail much easier and faster if you so desired.  This omega also works with piston system, where that particular UTG design does not, and leaves those options open for future use as well.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#14]
To each their own I always say

This is a good heads up thought however I could simply look at that rail online and say yep it won't work.  No pun to the OP but you can see the kink in it right there online.  BTW Larue uses almost the same setup for their FF rails when it comes to the barrel nut.  ITS huge no one bashed them because they are an expensive rail right.

I have honestly bene through so many rails now at this point they all have strengths and weaknesses.  I have a UTG free float pro on my truck gun BTW and it hasn't had one lick of an issue.  My brother inlaw who shoot a lot more than me had a DD FF rail on his M4gery he uses at work...  IE he is a cop and that thing caved on a drill...  No joking aside it bent like an aluminum can on XMAS while drinking to much.  I asked him if he dropped something heavy on it he said nope just bent on a door frame.

Not to say it means anything but most of this stuff is made from aluminum...  It bends easy if you force it in the right direction and also it cuts easy to.  So in your case you could probably modify it to work but I feel you I don't buy things to modify them either.  Also note to self this is why I use sansom rails on all my new builds
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just want to warn everybody about the Leapers UTG model 4/15 Free Float tube shown here: UTC model 4/15

This seems like a good deal for a free float tube, easy installation, slim profile, very durable, and doesn't look too shabby.  Well there is a very bad problem with this tube.  Although it attaches directly to the barrel nut (included), it cannot use any type of low profile gas blocks under it and requires that the gas block be pressed against the end with an end cap.  The interior dimensions are exactly 1.3" and I was unable to find any suitable gas blocks that would be able to clear 1.3" and have enough clearance to allow the barrel to free float without the gas block hitting the handguard (+/-.01").  Also, the attachment end for the barrel nut is <1" so a gas block would have to be delicately installed while the rail is attached if you can somehow figure a way to install a small enough block to make it a true free float.  The best I can figure, if you mill the gas tube groove in the top to a wider distance, use a cut down and pinned m4 block, you might be able to acheiver the function, however the time involved would be rediculously long for what you are paying for.  If you are looking for a cheap alternative, while using standard low profile gas blocks, I would recommend the Omega Manufacturing Free float tube.  It is very easy to install, you can get end caps designed for it, slides over almost all low profile gas blocks, and has enough clearance to sustain a true free float.

Just my opinion as I wasted $50 on this, and ended up only spending an extra $8 for one that actually has the functionality and aesthetics I wanted.  I'll probably end up cutting this one down to a 7" standard and using it in my next build for a 22lr or something so I don't feel I wasted the $.  Like I said, it looks nice but lacks the functionality.

I can see that happening on the Omega, it's a solid tube with no reinforcing kinks to it.  I'm not using it for a tactical rifle though, as I also have a polymer lower on it.  This build is just a 223 range gun and start for future builds.  For having a complete rifle, built from scratch for under $550 (plus optional items) it's a perfect starter build.  Unfortunately, if that utg handguard I got was .2" wider, I would be able to use it with minor difficulties, but they didn't think of that in their non pro version.  I do see the pro version is much better and probably much more solid that the omega that I got (again, due to the reinforcements of the rails).
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Where is UTG made?  With their pricing, I have doubts that it is made in the US.  What's next? Chinese bolt carriers made from recycled Counter Sniper returns?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where is UTG made?  With their pricing, I have doubts that it is made in the US.  What's next? Chinese bolt carriers made from recycled Counter Sniper returns?

The UTG Pro line of rails and stocks are suposedly manufactured in MI, USA. All others are imported from china.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The UTG Pro line of rails and stocks are suposedly manufactured in MI, USA. All others are imported from china.

Good to know.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top