Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:50:40 PM EDT
I wasnt sure what section to put this in, but I figured this would be the place.

I have  a TASK converted M11/9, it uses an AR buffer tube and buffer to reduce the rate of fire. Its shooting pretty fast, and I'd like to slow it down by putting a heavier buffer in it. I have access to a lathe, and would like to make a solid tungsten buffer. My only question is, does a buffer need to have the reciprocating weights inside to function properly? Would a solid buffer work?
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
the spikes buffer is just a buffer packed with tungsten powder, so i'd say it should work.

..........only one way to find out
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
No idea how that would work in your application, but I don’t think it would be good for a regular AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wasnt sure what section to put this in, but I figured this would be the place.

I have  a TASK converted M11/9, it uses an AR buffer tube and buffer to reduce the rate of fire. Its shooting pretty fast, and I'd like to slow it down by putting a heavier buffer in it. I have access to a lathe, and would like to make a solid tungsten buffer. My only question is, does a buffer need to have the reciprocating weights inside to function properly? Would a solid buffer work?

The reciprocating weights cause a deadblow effect to combat bolt bounce especially in automatic weapons.
Spikes uses tungsten powder instead of slugs but it's not packed tightly.

9mmAR uses a solid buffer and the Slash (member) buffers are solid so they do work.

Why not try an H3 conventional ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reciprocating weights cause a deadblow effect to combat bolt bounce especially in automatic weapons.
Spikes uses tungsten powder instead of slugs but it's not packed tightly.

9mmAR uses a solid buffer and the Slash (member) buffers are solid so they do work.

Why not try an H3 conventional ?

H3's still arent as heavy as what Im looking for. Id like it to be between 700-850 rpms. Right now with the H2 its still way too fast. Ive read that 8-8.5oz is what ill need to get it around my target speed. Since its an open bolt weapon, I would think the weights wouldnt really matter. Theres no bolt bounce to worry about, I just dont know for sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
A solid buffer should be fine. What about the extended 9mm buffers? I think Spikes and Slash have some. Alternatively you might be able to use one of the VLTOR A5 kits. Or just make your own if you have a lathe.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top