Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2012 7:17:44 AM EDT
I have had guns for many years but I have never owned an AR. Because everyone has one, I have chosen less known toys to buy. Now,you have finally gotten to me. It's time to build an AR. With the bewildering number of options my head is developing cracks and may soon explode. But here is what I am planning so far.

For a base rifle I have ordered a Smith & Wesson M&P-T. I really like the RECCE rifle concept. The specs for this gun include a 16" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and a floating hand guard. I also liked BCM's RECCE-16 mod0, however S&W is a better buy IMO. And with BCM I might have to wait years for my order instead of months.
I am going to deck it out with green or brown furniture and eventually I will add ACOG optics. For now I'm happy with the magpul fixed sights that come standard, although I may trade them for a color that matches the furniture. I'm not a big fan of filling up the rails with flashlights, bayonets, can openers, etc. I like just a few high quality features.
I started this thread as a place to update my build progress and solicit feedback. It may be a while before my gun arrives, but I am soon going to start buying generic accessories, such as an armorer tool. So, hi all. I look forward to this project. Fell free to add any comments or words of wisdom a newbie should know.

Cheers,
Rich
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board. Make sure you post pictures. Sounds like a fun project, and I know I look forward to seeing the updates.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If your really hooked you will build a next one and probably a next one. Have fun and be sure to become familiar with your new rifle. Such as cleaning, lubricating, sighting in and shooting. Also join a pro-firearm organizatiion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for your encouraging words.  I was like a kid at Christmas this weekend when my gun came in. Thats her below.
I took it out in the forest a put a mag through it just to confirm that it works ok.
Now comes the mod fun! I'm thinking magpul OD color furniture. It comes with new gen 2 magpul pop up sights in black. I am looking to trade those for a set in OD if anyone is interested.
Here is my current wish list:

Extra Pmag 30Rnd. OD ARRIVED  
BCM gunfighter charging handle INSTALLED
Cobra single point shock chorded sling in OD INSTALLED
Magpul MOE+ hand grip in OD INSTALLED
Magpul UBR  Buttstock in OD INSTALLED
TAPCO AR15 Armorer's Tool (Canceled order after reading bad things about this tool)
3 Magpul XT Rail Panels in OD INSTALLED
ModGear Double Rifle Tactical Case in OD -for my AK also- ARRIVED
TAPCO End Plate Sling Adapter (not needed with UBR stock)
trijicon sights (this one is going to take some time to get by the wife)
DPMS Armorer tool ARRIVED
QD swivel INSTALLED

http://i47.tinypic.com/2gxqwrt.jpg
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Good lookin' stick (aren't they all?). Now it's time to send off for those two stamps.
What stamps you ask? Why the SBR and a suppressor to round it out stamps of course :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good lookin' stick (aren't they all?). Now it's time to send off for those two stamps.
What stamps you ask? Why the SBR and a suppressor to round it out stamps of course :)

Now your into the 5 year plan.  
I think about getting the big boy permit all the time.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I have basically completed phase 1. Allow me to introduce you to ODin!

http://i45.tinypic.com/29kxukh.jpg

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
R:  I really like that UBR stock.  How much does it now weigh? - CW
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure. I cant find my fish scale.
The buttstock weighs 1.63lbs. with the additional extension. I wanted a heavy butt to bring the weight aft. It feels better now and the stock is sturdy. The cheek rest is metal and it comes with it's own tube.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
That turned our very nice. Nice looking stick OP
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good.
You bought a complete weapon and accessorized it. Not a build.
Good way to get your feet wet, though.
This will familiarize you with the platform and before you know it you will have more tools to add to that armorers wrench, along a box of parts in front of you.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks good.
This will familiarize you with the platform and before you know it you will have more tools to add to that armorers wrench, along a box of parts in front of you.

Good luck.

That's a good point. Other than replacing the charging handle all I have done is basically buy some furniture. I do plan on going further as I learn, but I wanted a gun I could shoot as I work on it. That's why I did not start with a stripped lower. Or like some around here, a block of steel.
Among my future ideas for actual mods I am looking into adding tritium to the front sight post, having a custom QD swivel solution machined, doing my own etched and electroplated dust cover, an so on.  
Anyway, thanks for your encouragement, and you also @chasw !
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.

Good luck.

That's a good point. Other than replacing the charging handle all I have done is basically buy some furniture. I do plan on going further as I learn, but I wanted a gun I could shoot as I work on it. That's why I did not start with a stripped lower. Or like some around here, a block of steel.
Among my future ideas for actual mods I am looking into adding tritium to the front sight post, having a custom QD swivel solution machined, doing my own etched and electroplated dust cover, an so on.  

Save your money on the Trit front sight and get yourself a good flashlight.  Flashlight is a more diverse tool that will give you more benefits.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks good.

Good luck.

Save your money on the Trit front sight and get yourself a good flashlight. Flashlight is a more diverse tool that will give you more benefits.

I like the tritium front sights, but I would get a flashlight first, then a aimpoint/eotech, then the tritium.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.

Good luck.

Save your money on the Trit front sight and get yourself a good flashlight.  Flashlight is a more diverse tool that will give you more benefits.

Hmm. I will take this under advisement. I understand how a flashlight is very helpful in a CQB situation. Your opponent would suddenly be in a gunfight with the sun. However I don't plan on using this gun for defense, and I don't want too much stuff on my rails. So, I'm just not sure yet.
One thing I might try out is competitive shooting. The gun club near me organizes AR shooting contests and it looks like a lot of fun. What kinds of mods should I look at if I go that route?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#15]
First thing I would look at is a trigger job. S&W M&P15's come with a pretty good trigger from the factory. I did a buff and polish on my wife's M&P, made a big difference. Took the grittiness and creep out of it. Or possibly a drop in trigger for "competitive shooting". Good iron sites or optics (depending on what class you compete in). Lots of trigger time. You have to learn your weapon before even thinking about going up against other shooters. Its all in good fun, but you don't want to embarrass yourself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm already resigned to embarrassing myself while shooting.
I'm going to try your trigger polishing  idea. I do feel a tiny bit of the grittiness you mentioned. It will also give me a chance to see the parts of the trigger assembly.
Also, a shipment of several hundred rounds XM193 and XM885 should be here for shooting this weekend. That will allow me to confirm what a crappy shot I really am.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks good love the OD!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top