Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:12:32 PM EDT
I'm in the process of assembling a very basic lightweight AR and I'm wondering if anyone has used these uppers before. They have no FA or dust cover and are a few oz lighter than a standard receiver. This lightweight is being assembled for the sole purpose of backpacking/hiking and won't see any serious use. To be honest, I've never used the FA on any of my other builds and 99% of the time I leave my dust covers open anyways. Is it worth the few extra oz to stick with a standard upper or is it safe to try the Sportical for something different?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They are great for a no frills rifle...but they are not in the "light weight" department. Actually, they are pretty robust and thicker than standard forged receivers. I believe they are extruded aluminum, not forged or milled from billet stock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh really? I didn't know that, good info. Thank you! If they're no lighter than a standard upper I may just stick with parts I've used before... That was the main idea behind trying one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Sportical in 16" and there is nothing lightweight about it.  It is a fairly robust rifle and not something I would want to carry all day in addition to a full back pack.  I doubt that the 2 or 3 oz difference in the FA is going to make any perceived differance at all.

MLG
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a Sportical in 16" and there is nothing lightweight about it.  It is a fairly robust rifle and not something I would want to carry all day in addition to a full back pack.  I doubt that the 2 or 3 oz difference in the FA is going to make any perceived differance at all.

MLG

Uh. 2 or 3 oz is nothing when that's all it is. But add that to all the other "oh it's just 2 or 3 oz more" items and you quickly have turned a lightweight rifle into a hog.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Uh. 2 or 3 oz is nothing when that's all it is. But add that to all the other "oh it's just 2 or 3 oz more" items and you quickly have turned a lightweight rifle into a hog.

Exactly. Ounces = pounds.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top