Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2012 5:24:26 PM EDT
Is there a significant weight difference in the two and how much is that difference. I do not care for the M4 barrel look. not diggin' the 203 cutout.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much weight difference if you stay away from a HBAR (Heavy Barrel) and keep it 16" long.  You can go lighter as well.  If you really do use a tight sling a free floated barrel of any weight is good to keep you point of impact consistient.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not much weight difference if you stay away from a HBAR (Heavy Barrel) and keep it 16" long.  You can go lighter as well.  If you really do use a tight sling a free floated barrel of any weight is good to keep you point of impact consistient.

I am pretty new to AR's. Are you saying that there are heavy barrels and heavier barrels, labelled HBAR or jsut to stay way from heavy barrels, alltogether?
I have sen HBAR listed barrels for sale. but the website does not list the weight of it and its M4 counterpart.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty new to AR's. Are you saying that there are heavy barrels and heavier barrels, labelled HBAR or jsut to stay way from heavy barrels, alltogether?
I have sen HBAR listed barrels for sale. but the website does not list the weight of it and its M4 counterpart.

HBAR means heavy barrel and beyond that is bull barrel which is heavier yet.
Pencil and light weight are the skinnies.
Gov't profile and medium contour are the mid weights.

Probably the best thing to do is to go handle some 16" variants and see what you think.
I actually like a 16 HBAR but I'm used to hauling heavy weapons around.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
An example would be the difference between a Colt M4 government profile 14.5 barrel and a Colt Socom 14.5 barrel, 4 ounces
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Find the barrel profile you like and learn to carry your rifle.  Most people do not carry their rifles very far except to the rifle range or hunting.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at fluted barrels.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you so much for your help, guys. So far a 16" HBAR is the front runner. I will only be using it for range, desert shooting and self defense, should as they say SHTF. I am sure I will learn to lug it around.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top