Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2012 1:28:35 PM EDT
I am putting a 13" troy alpha rail on my psa 16" midlength upper.  Everything is going on easy and lining up as it should, however, once I tighten down the three screws that hold the rail to the bbl nut, the rail "pulls" away from the upper a little bit.  There's not a huge gap but enough that I can see daylight between the rail on the upper and the rail on the free-float tube.  I'd like them to fit together flush.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Due to variances in both parts, 100% tight fit, no gap installation is almost guaranteed not to happen.
Small gaps between the upper and rail are to be expected due to tolerance stacking.

I think you have to live with it as is.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks zman.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a small gap between my upper and Alpha rail too. Like, maybe the thickness of a credit card.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Blah.  Thats about the same size of gap as on mine.  I reckon I'll just have to deal with it.  I appreciate the responses.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Theoretically you could cut the face of the upper back a few thousands with a lapping tool to make it fit closer. If you cut too much the barrel extension will insert too far into the upper. Alternatively you could cut the inside of the barrel nut so that the teeth are closer to the upper. A combination of both these methods might cut your gap in half.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Same gap on my 13" alpha.  It's normal, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

same.  mega forged upper.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I  installed the 13' alpha rail on a spikes upper & lower 14.5 build and mine has the gap too. it's not enough for me to worry about  
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Same size gap on mine as well. 13" Alpha against a S&W MP-15 upper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It probably just depends on the upper.  I have a Troy 13" Alpha Rail on a Vltor MUR, and it fits like a glove (no gap at all).  I also have a 12" Battlerail on a Vltor MUR that has a perfect fit.  But like everyone has mentioned, different parts won't always be exact matches.  I wouldn't be worried unless the gap is glaringly wide, which it sounds like it's not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Did anyone have an issue with the Alpha rail working its way off the barrel nut when you tighten it down?  I can't get mine to stay on the barrel nut...
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I've installed two Alpha rails at this point.  WhIat worked well for me both times was to use an optic mount to align the rail to the reciever before tightening the screws.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've installed two Alpha rails at this point.  WhIat worked well for me both times was to use an optic mount to align the rail to the reciever before tightening the screws.

I did the same thing.  I just couldn't get the rail to stay flush with the upper.

Spooky-Is your rail moving a little on the bbl nut or coming completely off?  BTW, when I saw spooky130, I expected to see a different bird in your avatar.  Either way, both badass birds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember the alpha installs by pulling away from the upper and engaging the barrel nut "wings", so that gap is natural.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the same thing.  I just couldn't get the rail to stay flush with the upper.

Spooky-Is your rail moving a little on the bbl nut or coming completely off?  BTW, when I saw spooky130, I expected to see a different bird in your avatar.  Either way, both badass birds.

I was able to pull it completely off.  I found some YouTube videos that showed how to install it correctly.  I was putting it on a 9mm upper with no gas tube - the barrel nut was just torqued on and not aligned for a gas tube.  Without aligning for a gas tube as the rail was designed it pushed itself off the barrel nut when tightening it up.  I aligned the barrel nut for a gas tube and now it is very tight and has no movement.

I joined here before I was assigned to an airplane - ended up with the one in the picture instead of the screen name...  Too lazy to change...

Spooky

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
this is absolutely true.. specially for after market self build.

however, when i wrote about UTG pro rails.. fanboys(not anyone this thread) immediately pointed out there was 1/16" gap between the rail and the upper receiver rail.. :)

Quoted:
Due to variances in both parts, 100% tight fit, no gap installation is almost guaranteed not to happen.
Small gaps between the upper and rail are to be expected due to tolerance stacking.

I think you have to live with it as is.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top