Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2012 6:08:35 PM EDT
I am building a new AR project using a removable barrel (MA Parts makes the barrel swap kit).

Can you recommend to me a set of handguards that are easy to remove?
With the handguards off, the nut holding the barrel/quick detach system is loosened, and the barrel removed.

For me, this will allow switching back and forth from 5.56 to the 7.62X40, and vice versa.
Also, with the barrel removed, the upper, stocked lower, and everything else fit into a normal sized (Pelican) briefcase.

I'd like a set of handguards that can be removed fairly quickly.

Suggestions?

G.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems like the standard delta ring hand guards would work fine. That would include the magpul hand guards then too. those would be the easiest because they dont require tool. It also seems like the evolution hand guards from either Samson or Rainier arms would also be pretty easy. They use the stock barrel nut and are tightened with 2 screws.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Just watched the install video for the Sampson Evolution handguards.

Okay, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Changing barrels to change calibers on a regular basis is not a good plan.
You'll see what I mean after a few cycles of that.
Build two separate uppers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have separate uppers for other uses.

The MA system seems to work well, without issues of metal fatigue. Time will tell of course.

As I mentioned before, with the barrel removed, the entire weapon system (in 2 calibers) fits
inside of a normal briefcase. You can't do that with a 16" barrel attached to the upper.

An SBR would do the same thing, but I don't yet want the hassle of a tax stamp.

The entire purpose of this rifle is to fit into that size of case.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Rainer Arms has a new rail system specifically designed for what you want, never used it but looks like what you are looking for:

Templar Rail
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
CP,

The barrel nut system from Ranier appears to be very similar to what MA Parts made.

The point isn't to swap out calibers quickly, but to create a compact modular system.

Thanks for directing me to this.

G.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top