Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2012 11:33:05 PM EDT
Hello, new member and my first post. Did a lot of research since this was my first AR and probably won't be getting any more financial aid from the government, I wanted to make sure I did this right the first time. I chose the piston system over the DI because I wanted to make it more robust to my use to guarantee longevity.

Here is what I have:

Upper = adams arms mid length evo ultra lite
Lower = riflegear because they contract through Mega and has the tensioning screw if I need it
Magpul MOE carbine stock
six position mil-spec buffer tube with carbine spring and buffer.
Magpul MOE pistol grip
Magpul MOE trigger guard
Magpul AFG2 angled fore grip
Geissele Super 2 Stage trigger
Troy Industries HK folding front and rear sights
Aimpoint PRO
VTAC sling

I'll have to post pictures later because my camera is being repaired.

I have a request for some suggestions or comments on my set up, but here are a few points I am concerned about. Mind you I have not had the chance to fire a round yet because of classes.
1) After reading on this forum about the Adams Arms uppers, it seems to be split where you get flawless performance and customer support or you get the opposite, is there some thing I can do to make sure mine works flawless or is it pretty much a coin toss?
2) Cam pin wear, should I polish or wet sand the one that comes with the AA upper before firing to help the break in wear and to make sure I don't have excess wear?
3) Carrier tilt, I know AA has designed a solution to this problem and what I can research it is working. When I was looking into which lower to get I came across the Riflegear which allows for a tensioning screw and when I put the upper and lower together, I did have a slight play. To me, this was still excessive and annoying so I decided to use the tensioning screw and now I have pretty much no play. My concern is, will having such a tight tolerance go against me later on? Some parts, such as metal are suppose to have some play to allow expansion when hot, so I am not sure if what I did is a good thing or bad thing?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
As is tradition....Take pictures!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait, so youre using money allocated for educational aide to build an AR?

looks like a nice build though
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
and probably won't be getting any more financial aid from the government

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Most gun owners are liberal so this should go over well....

Oh wait
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a request for some suggestions or comments on my set up, but here are a few points I am concerned about. Mind you I have not had the chance to fire a round yet because of classes.
1) After reading on this forum about the Adams Arms uppers, it seems to be split where you get flawless performance and customer support or you get the opposite, is there some thing I can do to make sure mine works flawless or is it pretty much a coin toss?
2) Cam pin wear, should I polish or wet sand the one that comes with the AA upper before firing to help the break in wear and to make sure I don't have excess wear?
3) Carrier tilt, I know AA has designed a solution to this problem and what I can research it is working. When I was looking into which lower to get I came across the Riflegear which allows for a tensioning screw and when I put the upper and lower together, I did have a slight play. To me, this was still excessive and annoying so I decided to use the tensioning screw and now I have pretty much no play. My concern is, will having such a tight tolerance go against me later on? Some parts, such as metal are suppose to have some play to allow expansion when hot, so I am not sure if what I did is a good thing or bad thing?

So you bought a piston set up because it's more reliable than the DI, yet you are worried about a laundry list of issues common to piston set ups??  Seems kind of counter productive whereas if you were to have bought a BCM upper or Colt you would be asking where to buy cheap ammo and gas rings that may need replaced after 20-25,000 rounds.

Just pointing that out.  Your money, your gun.  Hopefully yours will run fine and you will enjoy it for a good long time.  Welcome to ARFcom.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
@@@@
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you bought a piston set up because it's more reliable than the DI, yet you are worried about a laundry list of issues common to piston set ups??  Seems kind of counter productive whereas if you were to have bought a BCM upper or Colt you would be asking where to buy cheap ammo and gas rings that may need replaced after 20-25,000 rounds.

Just pointing that out.  Your money, your gun.  Hopefully yours will run fine and you will enjoy it for a good long time.  Welcome to ARFcom.

DI had been around for over 40 years. Piston, less than 10. My money is still on DI being more robust and reliable. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't thank the FAFSA, thank the tax payers. You're not welcome.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Thread title doesn't belong in tech section
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top