Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2012 4:49:47 PM EDT
Hey guys, thanks for having me here on the forum. I have always been interested in owning an AR-15 and feel that building one is there way to go as it would be a fun experience, while also getting satisfaction and familiarity with the system. Having said that, I was looking to build a top notch system with all the bells and whistles, and I am willing to go up to around 2500 ish which I think should be enough to get me where I want to go. My issue is I don't know what parts I need, or where to get them in terms of the smaller parts.

For example I was looking at the Mega Upper and Lowers, but they are both stripped and so where would I get all the pins, screws, bolt carrier etc etc. Also I was looking at getting a noveske N4 Light 5.56MM barrel 16-sb. I know there are a BUNCH of things I need to get, but if someone can point me in the right direction at least in how to go about getting all these things, and make sure they are high quality parts. (I subscribe to the philosophy that you get what you pay for, and you save money by spending money the first time). Thanks and I am looking forward to hearing back from all of you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Bravo
Larue
Start by booking marking those two sites.
Quoted:
Hey guys, thanks for having me here on the forum. I have always been interested in owning an AR-15 and feel that building one is there way to go as it would be a fun experience, while also getting satisfaction and familiarity with the system. Having said that, I was looking to build a top notch system with all the bells and whistles, and I am willing to go up to around 2500 ish which I think should be enough to get me where I want to go. My issue is I don't know what parts I need, or where to get them in terms of the smaller parts.

For example I was looking at the Mega Upper and Lowers, but they are both stripped and so where would I get all the pins, screws, bolt carrier etc etc. Also I was looking at getting a noveske N4 Light 5.56MM barrel 16-sb. I know there are a BUNCH of things I need to get, but if someone can point me in the right direction at least in how to go about getting all these things, and make sure they are high quality parts. (I subscribe to the philosophy that you get what you pay for, and you save money by spending money the first time). Thanks and I am looking forward to hearing back from all of you.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah I was on the BCM website earlier today, but my concern in, who makes the best lower parts kit? For example I saw a DPMS lower parts kit. But is DPMS good? If not who is good. etc etc. For the Upper reciever, do I need to buy everything individually I guess if I am going the stripped route and not buying a complete upper?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yeah I was on the BCM website earlier today, but my concern in, who makes the best lower parts kit? For example I saw a DPMS lower parts kit. But is DPMS good? If not who is good. etc etc. For the Upper reciever, do I need to buy everything individually I guess if I am going the stripped route and not buying a complete upper?

The best? I guess Colt is prolly the best. Do a search on here for LPK and I am sure you can get tons of feedback on different kits.  

Colt LPK

Yes, if you are going for a stripped upper everything would have to be purchased seperately. Or BCM offers a ton of great combo's of complete uppers with good rail systems already included. I would probably look for one of there upper combos if I was piecing together my first AR.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
As you prob bly know there are a ton of different AR configurations. What exactly is your goal for this rifle?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, ultimately I want something that is combat ready, just for a SHTF scenario, or zombie apocalypse. But also I would like something that is good/fun to take target shooting. I guess I would like something that is light, high quality, reliable, and accurate (who doesn't). I would mount an optic and light/laser combo with a 1 point harness. Does everyone here like BCM? I seem to be hearing a lot of good things about MEGA which is why I was going to go that route. Could I get a MEGA upper reciever and get BCM for the rest? How about MEGA upper, Noveske barrel, and BCM for the rest? (or is that too much mix/match). I also want the thing to look cool too, but function over aesthetics first and foremost.

For the lower, a LPK is definitely the way I am going, as it will make life much easier (just got to figure out which one, I heard Rock River Arms had a decent one too?). For the Upper, I am fine if it comes in a kit, but I just want to make sure its high quality, and is not put together for me. Although it may seem counter intuitive, I want to learn how to break the gun apart and put it back together from every pin and screw, and I feel that many of the complete uppers come pre-assembled. Anyways, if someone could help me out and post their ultimate parts list for the upper it would make my life a lot easier. But I know a lot of you have many other things to do than help out a newbie like me so if not it's all good, I have no issues researching until I figure it all out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
P.S. - One more reason why I am not too fond of going the complete upper route, is because I appear to be very finicky on what free float rail looks good to me. I want something short and tactical, but the design in a certain way etc. etc. and it just makes it more difficult for me to match quality vs. aesthetics, especially over something as minor as which hand rail to choose.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top