Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2012 5:41:27 PM EDT
Hey guys I have before me a daunting task.

I have been ask to assemble an AR15 to commemorate a career of very successful business person.

I want the gun to be one of a kind with custom machined parts that represent important items and events throughout his career.

Easiest way to explain it... I want to do something similar to what custom bike builders do.

What are my options for having a custom stock and forearm machined? I can do 3D renderings

Does anyone have any good ideas that relate a gun to the Coal industry?

I would like to incorporate the company logos and also have custom engravings.

I know my questions are vague but I really just need point in the right direction to get some ideas, are there any other custom built one of a kind ARs that follow a theme?

THanks for any help you can provide..

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You want to really show your thanks? Get one that comes with a happy switch (and the ATF Form 4 as well).

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any knobs or something of the like that you could have turned in to a forward assist?  An engraving company like Ident Markings could do custom engraving on the lower.  If you have a ported exhaust pipe from some equipment you could possibly replicate it to use as a free float tube for hand guards.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
use a big lump of coal for a butt stock
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Try google for the pictures.  I have seen things like this, but 9 times out of 10 they end up being either lame, full of things that effect function, or look hideous.  Good luck though!

Also there "might" be a legal issue involved here if you aren't an FFL.. maybe?  Something somewhere about assembling rifles and then giving them to others constitutes manufacture maybe?  Or a straw purchase.  

Could be completely wrong on that, but its worth looking into.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try google for the pictures.

Also there "might" be a legal issue involved here if you aren't an FFL.. maybe?  Something somewhere about assembling rifles and then giving them to others constitutes manufacture maybe?  Or a straw purchase.  

It's a gift, perfectly legal in free states.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you have any knobs or something of the like that you could have turned in to a forward assist?  An engraving company like Ident Markings could do custom engraving on the lower.  If you have a ported exhaust pipe from some equipment you could possibly replicate it to use as a free float tube for hand guards.

Great Ideas! Now I need to find something that he can relate to (custom forward assist).

I actually thought of making the hand guard to resemble a mine safety lamp, but it might look tacky...

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]

duplicate post...

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
It will go through the proper channels, picked up from an FFL with background check

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try google for the pictures.

It's a gift, perfectly legal in free states.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a nice walnut or laminated stock set from THE premier wooden stock maker, Ironwood Designs? You could add a special Logo or his name carved or lasered into the side of the buttstock. I would think you would have to have the carving or laser work done on your own and just buy the stock set from Ironwood Designs. I have a fine walnut Ironwood Design buttstock that I finished with several coats of hand rubbed Tung oil on my long distance/target AR and it is really a nice touch. Not something you would want to drag through a couple of carbine coruses, but a beatiful special accent to a fine rifle....<><....:)
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ironwood Designs

That's exactly what I was thinking, a custom wood stock and handguard design.  Maybe made from an old mine timber or something.

Have any machinery in the mine that uses 1.5" or so diameter steel drive shafts?  Maybe take one and have it made into a barrel, if the steel grade was something usable.

A not as silly as it may seem idea might be to put a target-rifle style mirage blocking strap over the handguard, maybe integrated into the handguard design, made to look like a conveyer belt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
i actually like the lantern idea quite a bit that one already looks like a forearm and once you re worked it to the dimensions of a forearm it could look pretty cool if done well.
My contribution would be to look at drill tips they use to make holes before blasting as a muzzle device.
also try to make sure any custom parts are interchangeable with standard ones incase it's decided they affect function later on

this is going to0 far but you could put an actual coal miners head lamp on for a light.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The drill tip muzzle device is an awesome idea in my opinion too! That first pic looks about perfect for something to work off of.
So far thats really the only thing I think isnt a bit over kill.
You could make a forward grip that resembles a pick axe (the pick is what mounts to the rail, the handle is the grip) but that might be a bit much too.

or go all out and make the rail/barrel/muzzle device into one of these giant saw things
http://images.theage.com.au/2009/10/13/787600/mb_coal2-420x0.jpg
would take a ton of work but you could go a long way with the idea. Like making the saw blade a functional front iron sight
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Great Ideas guys! keep em coming!

The drill bit Idea is perfect! I hadnt thought of that yet, it would also be subtle which is good.

This thing could get pretty tacky in a hurry especially if it starts to look like a rat rod...

Ive thought about the pick hammer idea but to make it proportional the handle would be entirely to skinny
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally I Would get a minimal marked billet upper and lower and have Ident do a lot of custom engraving on it.  If not billet, a standard upper and lower with engravings.  Same with the handguard.

Company logo, lanterns, ect...

Is the guy a accuracy shooter or a carbine shooter?  I'd say do teh engravings and then get a PRS stock and bipod and a 18" barreled upper that can shoot sub MOA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#16]
You could do something I did. If you get a lower from JD Machine Tech, they can let you choose the serial number, as long as it has not been used before. You could do something like his initials followed by his start and end year in the industry. So for instance, if his name was John smith and he worked in the industry from 1960-2012 the serial number could be JS19602012.

One other thought, if you go this route they may or may not let you choose the safe fire markings. Maybe make it coal related. It never hurts to ask.

I did this to commemorate a police officer friend that was murdered on duty. He was big gun guy and had a gun shop before becoming a cop. The serial number I got is his departments initials, his unit number and the date he was killed. JD Machine was great to work with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I love the idea of using some coal mine timbers as a stock.  If you engraved a lower with a logo and customized serial number and had the stock made out of timbers and left everything else straight black that would be one hell of a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#18]
This sounds like a great idea for a parting gift...sure beats a shadow box or a plaque. Be careful no to go too deep in this though. Much like the bike build shows, they have a tendency to try to incorporate too much and then it just looks tacky. A few touches and an engraving classy, every coal related item you can find stuck to the side of an AR...tacky. Please post some pics when you get this completed, I'd be interested to see what you came up with.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Think I got this one, have the barrel machined to look like a roof bolt, and make the flash suppressor look like a torque tension bolt head.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#20]
You could use a fluted spiral barrel (like DEZ Arms)...would appear as a drill.  Also the folks at Quentin Defense can do some awesome laser etching on their lowers and uppers with just about anything you want.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Great Ideas that have led me down many paths of tought, Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can get a solid block of polymer to mill a custom stock?How would this turn out? Or of any company that has a quick turn around on molding custom stocks from a 3d drawing?

If I have someone machine the stock out of billet aluminum where can I buy a chunk big enough and who could I get to parkerise/duracoat it when finished?

Thinking about using the company logo as a ammo window in the magazines
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Al does not park.  If all you wanted was painted you could just do that your self with a can of alumahyde.  But the best finish for AL is anodizing; I would send it here US Anodizing.

For where to get metal there are lots of places.  Onlinemetals.com or mcmaster carr are two that deal online in small amounts.

Molding is not normally cheap or fast to setup unless you are doing big runs I would look else where.  You could try a DIY plaster or sand mold but I do not think it would be worth your trouble.

Wombat
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There are ar15s painted like dewalt and milwaukee tools. The stocks could be painted to look like some drill or tool used in the mine or painted with the company colors, if there are any. There are plenty of places that can laser engrave a logo if you have a .gif.

This what I was going to contribute.  Coating the metal parts with company colors is an easy way to make it personal
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#24]
PM sent to you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You could do something I did. If you get a lower from JD Machine Tech, they can let you choose the serial number, as long as it has not been used before. You could do something like his initials followed by his start and end year in the industry. So for instance, if his name was John smith and he worked in the industry from 1960-2012 the serial number could be JS19602012.

One other thought, if you go this route they may or may not let you choose the safe fire markings. Maybe make it coal related. It never hurts to ask.

I did this to commemorate a police officer friend that was murdered on duty. He was big gun guy and had a gun shop before becoming a cop. The serial number I got is his departments initials, his unit number and the date he was killed. JD Machine was great to work with.

I think this post is a winner.

The gimmicky stuff might be cool when you present it to him, but after a while, if I got a commemorative gun, I'd be thinking, "Why is all this weird stuff on here?"  I honestly like low-key, though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#26]
i think the spiral fluted barrel and muzzle break similiar to a drill head could be subtle enough if done well add a little laser engraving and the custom serial numbers and it would be pretty dang nice and not over the top.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I love the serial number idea and the muzzle device. What about a shovel handle off the buffer tube for the stock?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#28]
2 random thoughts.
for the safety selector, have safe be a lump of coal, and fire be a flame?

also, not sure how this could be used, but when I think of coal, I think of diamonds.  Maybe a diamond set in the tip of the front sight post, kinda like an earring?

I'm a fan of the idea of incorporating raw materials from the company into the actual gun.  Like timbers from the original mine, metal from the first machine, etc.  Make it look low-key, maybe have the standard profile of an A2, but upon closer inspection and with some explanation, be able to show how it incorporates the history of the company.

For the main working parts, barrel, lower, parts, buffer tube, you could use standard kit.  Top of the line, of course, but still pre-fab.  But for the exposed surfaces, handguard, grip and stock, you could work in the custom parts?  I saw that lamp and right away i thought it could be made into a foregrip and flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#29]
So, have you made any head way on what direction you want to go with this? I think we all would be interested.
Pics after the build would be cool.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top