Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2012 6:13:16 AM EDT
Hey everyone in ar land!

Well i have recently been buying up all the ar 15's in my hometown and now i decided to give it the old college try to build one.

I already have a bushmaster with magpul prs and 20" stainless barrel and a s&w m&p 15 with the magpul ctr stock and all other magpul fde furniture.

I just want to build my own gun, so here's the plan:

I just bought a spikes tactical complete lower  (black)
I already own a black magpul ctr stock and moe grip.

I really want to buy an np3 coated upper and free float. Anyone have any experience with the black dawn stuff? I like the look of the black and silver together.

I plan to add a suppressor eventually and it will need to tuck under the free float forend.

I also want was planning on using a stag 16" barrel with carbine gas port and low profile gas block? Good or bad idea?

Thanks to everyone that responds! I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Sorry for spelling errors, my iphone is hard to hit all the buttons properly....
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad you're here.  Before you put that stock on your lower, build it as a pistol, document it, and post the pics.  THEN build it as a rifle.

Other > pistol > rifle >pistol

NEVER Other > rifle > pistol

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm i am pretty new to this. If i take the spikes stock off of it and build it i can always go back to pistol? How would i document this? I assume thats what your saying, maybe not?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Bugger.  It's already had a stock on it?  That's beyond my ken.  Check carefully before going the pistol route then.  If it's 1st assembled into a rifle, ie, a buttstock & a bbled upper, it's a no-go for pistol.

If you start from a lower sold as an "other", w/o a stock, & build as a pistol, you are GTG.  If it's already got a stock on it?  That I don't know.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it came with a cheap buttsrock already on it.... Oh well....

On a seperate note have you ever heard of the black dawn uppers? I want a silver np3 upper and its one of the few i have seen but i cant seem to find any reviews or feedback yet?!......
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, this is the second time tonight I've read the other > pistol > rifle > pistol. I'm waiting on my upper/lower receivers, so I haven't assembled anything yet. So I can assemble my parts, leave off the stock (still using the carbine buffer tube, not a pistol tube), and I'll be able to use the lower for a pistol if I choose to in the future?

And to what level do I need to document it? Dated pictures with serial number clearly visible?

edit: spelling correction
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok, this is the second time tonight I've read the other > pistol > rifle > pistol. I'm waiting on my upper/lower receivers, so I haven't assembled anything yet. So I can assemble my parts, leave off the stock (still using the carbine buffer tube, not a pistol tube), and I'll be able to use the lower for a pistol if I choose to in the future?

And to what level do I need to document it? Dated pictures with serial number clearly visible?

edit: spelling correction

Safer option is to run a Pistol buffer extension.  Take pics and make sure that the pic has a time stamp or post it up somewhere that will give an auto time stamp.  Not sure if Photobucket does or not.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, ATF has held you can use a carbine buffer tube.  I'm using a rifle buffer tube on mine.

I took pics w/ the S/N visible.  Just save 'em in a safe place - this could be something you convert back 20 years from now, so you'll want to be able to find the pictures.

I've posted several times recently on this, so you may be getting confirmation bias.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top