Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2012 7:07:59 PM EDT
I bought a used Model 1 Sales upper with a 24" ER Shaw heavy barrel.  Added that to a basic lower with A2 buttstock.   How is the quality of the ER Shaw barrels?  What about the Model 1 Sales uppers?  I know these aren't top dollar items but I would like to know some baselines and what to expect.  

This current setup is very front heavy.  I've thought of adding weight to the stock and to shortening the barrel, or a combination of the two.  With this upper, would it be cost effective to have the barrel shortened and recrowned?  

I plan to use this rifle to practice for NRA highpower competitions. (I don't actually compete yet)  Suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a non -chrome lined barrel shaw barrel. With a rest at 100yds. it will produce a classic clover leaf pattern. All bullets touching each other.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Model 1 Sales A2 upper with a 20" 1/9 chrome-lined ER Shaw heavy barrel that does very well.  When I BZO'd the rifle it shot very tight groups.  I BZO'd at 25 meters and you could easily cover most of the 5-shot groups with a nickel.  I'm sure younger, better eyes could do better!  And I also built an IDF Carbine clone using an ER Shaw lightweight chrome-lined 16" 1/9 barrel that is very accurate as well.   But my point is - in my limited experience with them, the ER Shaw barrels are excellent!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top