Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2012 11:55:21 AM EDT
So I am pretty new to building or buying guns. I have a Glock .45  and S&W .45. I am in the military and have been shooting m-16's for the last 6 years and am wanting to build my first one. I would like to know if I need to send all the parts to my local Gun shop, and what parts I can have shipped to my home. Also what steps will I need to make when I get it completed. I am sure there are all kinds of things that need to be done, and I am researching them. I just thought I would get some pointers here first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The lower receiver will have to be shipped to you gun shop (or other FFL holder). All other parts can come straight to your home.

All of the building information can be found here.

Once you are done with the build, there are only two things you need to do - shoot the heck out of it and post pics here!

Hope this helps!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If you've been shooting them for 6 years you probally already know plenty to build one (it's pretty easy). The only difference between an AR15 and a M16 is 1 part so you'll be plenty familar with the gun.

Like was said you can have everything shipped to your house but the lower receiver. You can either find one locally or have one ordered thru a local FFL.

Once completed there's nothing you need to do. There's no registration or anything is what I mean. When you buy the stripped lower receiver they do a background check and that's the only legal thing that is done as far as ownership.

Honeslty the easiest way to do it is order a complete kit from somewhere like PSA, find a stripped lower, read the directions posted here and you'll be done in about an hour. If you try to mix and match parts trying to save $5 it's easy to forget a spring or something small. But a $500 PSA kit will have everything you need.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
what they said and check out this thread  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I put one together with tools I had on hand except for a multy tool.  It took me 1 hour and 50 minutes after I got all the parts, to have the rifle completely assembled.  That was taking my time and being careful.  Its a snap.  I bought everything online & shipped to my house, except for a MOE trigger guard and the stripped receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top