Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:00:30 AM EDT
I got the roll pin three forths the way in on the forward assist, and it seems thats the farthest it will go, now I cant get it out. Not sure if it makes a difference but I drove it in from the top of the upper receiver.  Any help would be appreciated gentlemen on how to get it out.  I've already gone through one brownells roll pin punch, i dont want to go through another.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You use oil?

Try oiling the pin up, see if you can get some deep in the hole through the pin then try driving it in
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
May be a silly suggestion, but has the pawl moved a bit therefor stopping the pin from going thru? Turn the button a bit and try tapping the pin in some more. The assist is made to only fit one way to alow the pawl to alighn with the bolt notches. And shoot a bit of lube in there too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
It's wedged in there against the forward assist parts.  Doesn't take much for the forward assist to be at the wrong angle or depth when you're putting a roll pin in, and if you continue to force the pin in you'll end up distorting the pin hole in the receiver enough for the pin to go off angle.  Trying to drive it the opposite direction is useless because the end of the pin isn't in line with the other pin hole, you're just beating on the forward assist and wedging the entire mess in wrong even tighter.

Is the forward assist free to move or is it locked up tight?  If it's tight, the best suggestion I can make is to try pushing the forward assist in a little and/or twist it a little in order to free it and the pin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say grab the pin with a pair of visegrips and tap the visegrips gently with a hammer to pull the pin out.
This will probably be destructive to the pin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
the assist is freely moving forward and back, I tried lubing it overnight with no added gain.  the forward assist does turn slightly to the left and right but it isnt much.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would say grab the pin with a pair of visegrips and tap the visegrips gently with a hammer to pull the pin out.

Yeah, do this, then start over.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a 1 1/2" long 4d nail to align everything in there.  Nail goes up through the bottom, holds everything in place, then drive the roll pin in there from the top, pushing out the nail.  Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, do this, then start over.
   ........with a new pin.

Once it's apart, see if a drill bit will pass all the way through the receiver.  You can twist the drill between your fingers to deburr the hole.  Before inserting a new pin, squeeze it closed a bit on the end.  Use a drill bit as a pilot to hold all the FA parts in place as you tap the new pin into place.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top