Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:00:19 AM EDT
I'm planing on building a rifle soon and the only manufacturer that I know that makes a lower with a tensioning screw built in is SunDevil Manf. I think it's a great idea, any others out there?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Tensioning screw... as in, jam the upper and lower further apart so they're harder to take apart?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tensioning screw... as in, jam the upper and lower further apart so they're harder to take apart?

Not if you do it right...there is no need to 'JAM'

Tactical Innovations does.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The Rainier Arms lower I have has a tensioning screw, to take up any small gap in clearance between the upper and lower fitment... although I did not need it with the Rainier lower and a Spikes upper, they have minimal 'play'.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My Mega Arms billet came with one, as did my Arizona Armory billet set. Quentin Defense also does them.

Personally though, I'd look for different features in a lower like integrated trigger guard, ambi bolt release, cerakote finish, or something else that's actually useful. If you buy your upper and lower from the same place, you should be able to ask for a matched set, which should have very, very little play between them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The Mega forged lowers now have the tension screw.  Rainiers also have it as they are made by Mega.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Barnes Precision, Apex NC
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Where exactly is this tensioning screw, and is it something that's practical to add to an existing lower?  I have two lowers that are a little loose for my liking - yes, I know it really doesn't make a difference but it bothers me.

I'm guessing it bears against the bottom of the upper's rear lug.

ETA - yep, that's what it is!  From the Tactical Innovations website:

I need to look at boring and tapping my two loose lowers for this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks- this is a great start to some names.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Rainier upper and lower with the tension screw as someone already said and I couldnt be happier with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Off topic but there is a gunsmith near me that reversed the tensioning screw idea. His pulls the upper and lower together, instead of pushing them apart. It requires a good bit of machining but its cool as shit

Might be off topic but its a neat idea to the problem of jamming the upper and lower apart.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
or just buy a accu wedge for $5 and what ever  upper lower you like. Actualy i have one laying around that came with a rifle my brother bought. you want it you can have it
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#13]
MEGA... or Rainier Arms... (made by MEGA)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top