Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:15:48 PM EDT
Is there any reason why I can't use two pieces of wood one against the rail and one against the bottom of the receiver in between the pin posts to take my barrel off?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Walmart and buy a $2 cutting board, then cut it into strips to use as pads

Thats what I have done for years, wood gives to much

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Get much cheaper BARREL vise blocks instead of a receiver block.  This is what the military manual uses.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get much cheaper BARREL vice blocks instead of a receiver block.  This is what the military manual uses.

Just because the USGI manual calls for it does not mean it is better...

Using the barrel vice method puts a lot of stress on the index pin, and IMHO a receiver vice is a much better alternative

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a thread right now in GAHTF where a guy screwed up his upper trying to use the wood blocks.
It happens WAY too often.
Get (or borrow) a vise block or a set of barrel blocks.

The supposed stress you put on the index pin using barrel blocks is nothing near the damage you can do with a vice and blocks of wood. Barrel blocks will work fine if you have them, and are a helluva lot less prone to screw up your gun.

My advice (worth exactly what you paid for it): Do it right or don't mess with it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a thread right now in GAHTF where a guy screwed up his upper trying to use the wood blocks.

The supposed stress you put on the index pin using barrel blocks is nothing near the damage you can do with a vice and blocks of wood. Barrel blocks will work fine if you have them, and are a helluva lot less prone to screw up your gun.

My advice (worth exactly what you paid for it): Do it right or don't mess with it.

This ^

if you have a job to do, use the RIGHT TOOLS or you'll probably be posting next......."I tweaked my upper, now what?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]
What a little slip can do . . .

Quoted:
Buy an action block and don't try to half ass it by using a vice and 2x4s.  Not speaking from personal experience or anything  But me trying to be cheap is gonna end up costing me more in the long run.  So use the right tools and save your self the money.  

P.S. anybody got any stripped uppers they wanna sell?

Link to thread in GAHTF.

(posted by permission of Gentleman4561)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get the Pro mag, upper and lower set for around $30, {I bought a set at a gun show in FL for $25}, or spend a little more for the DPMS {I believe there around $45} I use this one over all others and I also have a PRI{I mainly purchased it because it also does 308 ar's}...  I hate assembling uppers, I know Im going to scratch something, the other day I did an entire upper, it was all done in the vise ready to slap a lower on, and I thought to myself, wow no scratches, thats when I turned around and hit the vise bar with my elbow releasing the upper to crash to the floor....  Luckily there was no damage, but I didnt find out untill the next morning, I left it on the floor shut the lights off and went upstairs to watch Kung Foo Panda 2 with the kids...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I think this man gave you some good advice.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree using wood blocks is fucking retarded, however there is nothing wrong with making your own vice pads out of a cutting board like I suggested.

Wood gives, the Delrin material that a cutting board is made out of does not, and will have ZERO play when the upper is in the vice

I have probably pulled about 20 barrels using this method and never had a minuets trouble, the only time I have had to borrow a vice block is for a A2 upper I worked on.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Two pieces of oak will not give. Burn maybe? Give ahhh no.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
What could go wrong?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
There was another broken upper in the Gunsmithing forum a while back.

Wood or plastic, doesn't matter, as you're stressing the wrong spot on an upper.  The receiver needs to be clamped right in front of the ejection port.

I tried using wood blocks once on an AR10.  I put quite a bit of juice on the nut and gave up.  Ordered THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB, and the nut came off very easily.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
oak works perfectly fine, but it is a proceedure that I would not suggest for everyone.

I had a thread here on how I do it.I use a press( could use a vice)with steel plates and  1/2 " oak. I put down a strip of masking tape,which leaves nice marks.the oak works perfect for me. the press is going to be much easier for those that have experience with them.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd rather spend the money on an action block than on a new receiver.  Wood doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd rather spend the money on an action block than on a new receiver.  Wood doesn't work.

HARD wood barrel blocks have been used for years.  They work fine.  
For a AR I prefer aluminum barrel blocks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top