Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2012 11:53:42 PM EDT
Hey guys here is my parts i got together for my 2nd build. So far this is what i have for my lower...

-JD Machine lower
-Generic Big Shot Milspec lower parts kit
-Magpul CTR stock
-Magpul Moe Plus grip
-Magpul trigger gaurd
-Magpul B.A.D. lever
-Magpul ASAP sling mount
-Raddlock bullet button (California legal)
-Milspec Buffer tube
-Spikes tactical buffer and spring

Im ready and eager to put my lower together but im a little hesitant about my lower parts kit. Its a generic no brand kit that i cant find any reviews on and im worried its going to be out of spec or something? if thats even possible? I picked it up for 50 dollars at the gun show and the guy told me all lower parts kits as long as there milspec are the same regardless the brand. Is this true? or should i just order a new parts kit from dpms or rra to be safe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ALPoE/photo-2-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ALPoE/photo-1-1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ALPoE/photo-3-1.jpg
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys here is my parts i got together for my 2nd build. So far this is what i have for my lower...

-JD Machine lower
-Generic Big Shot Milspec lower parts kit
-Magpul CTR stock
-Magpul Moe Plus grip
-Magpul trigger gaurd
-Magpul B.A.D. lever
-Magpul ASAP sling mount
-Raddlock bullet button (California legal)
-Milspec Buffer tube
-Spikes tactical buffer and spring

Im ready and eager to put my lower together but im a little hesitant about my lower parts kit. Its a generic no brand kit that i cant find any reviews on and im worried its going to be out of spec or something? if thats even possible? I picked it up for 50 dollars at the gun show and the guy told me all lower parts kits as long as there milspec are the same regardless the brand. Is this true? or should i just order a new parts kit from dpms or rra to be safe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ALPoE/photo-2-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ALPoE/photo-1-1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ALPoE/photo-3-1.jpg

I wouldnt trust it. I have DD.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on using it for spare/backup parts. Sorry for the edit,  we kicked that dealer off the site

Personally, I like the Spikes and DD stuff.  Spikes is around $70 and DD $80-90 most places.  I really love the LWRC LPK though.  Admittedly, its a little steep at $110.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Like you, I bought a LPK at a gun show and when I got home and went thru it, I found It was missing about 20% of the parts needed. Ended up buying a Spikes LPK and the other one became a little collection of spare parts. I'd go thru it and make sure you have everything first. I wonder who supplies the little parts for LPK's as I doubt they are made in house by each manufacturer. Weather they are all the same or not is a pretty big leap of faith, but I'd be willing to bet the major players get their parts from the same suppliers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the great input! I appreciate you guys taking the time and helping me answer my questions! I just have a couple more questions...does anyone have and info on the PSA lower parts kits? Any experience with them?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the great input! I appreciate you guys taking the time and helping me answer my questions! I just have a couple more questions...does anyone have and info on the PSA lower parts kits? Any experience with them?

PSA lower with PSA LPK went together for me fine.  Trigger was "ok", I have less than 100 rounds through it, other people have said they are good.  Either I just got a "bad" one or it needs to be broken in more....maybe.  My DD LPK trigger on my other rifle is better, IMO.  But that's ok, I might be replacing it later anyway.

What is it you want to know?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I know alot of people use the DPMS kits as well. Does anyone have any reviews on there kits? And would you guys recommend me buying separate JP springs for my trigger to improve it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually, JP springs are added as part of a trigger job. There are several threads here that show a simple DIY trigger polish. That, along with a set of the Yellow springs may "feel" a bit better.  If I were you, I'd put it together and shoot it a few hundred rounds before changing springs and such. You may find that you are happy with it as it is. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice! Im gonna shop around for a LPK
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1 on using it for spare/backup parts. Sorry for the edit,  we kicked that dealer off the site
Personally, I like the Spikes and DD stuff.  Spikes is around $70 and DD $80-90 most places.  I really love the LWRC LPK though.  Admittedly, its a little steep at $110.  

So there is another human being who likes the LWRC parts kit beside me.  I built my last lower with it, and probably will not build another without it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I just checked out the LWRC LPK and its $130? Thats kind of pricey...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude...!!!   build it with the parts kit you have..!!! if you dont like it and it dont work out then go out and buy a better one...   if you dont want the hassle then go with a PSA or a DD or even better get a STAG..

but WHAT EVER YOU DO..!!!  if you dont want that Generic one sell it to me for $25 bucks... at least you make half your money back and i'll let you know if its anygood or not..!!!

serously though...

Stag LPK is the one of the best out there so i hear..!!!
DD next on the list
and PSA as an Old Faithful..!!!

unless you go with something that has a match trigger group..!!!

BTW:  you got a nice start there and its looking good so far.. you got some quality stuff there...    how do you like that JD lower...?  that is one of my favorite Lowers, i really like the way the Mag well is flared out a little...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top