Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 11:50:20 AM EDT
Went to the range today, temp 38 degrees. Had the place to myself. It was nice. Set the target up initially at 50 yards and grabbed some cheap wolf 55gn to find paper. Sighted in and put 60 rounds down range and had a group about the size of my fist. Moved it out to 100 yards and using wolf, looked a bit more like a shotgun, but all within a head sized grouping. SO I brought it back to 50, switched to some Remington 69gn Match they had at the range. First five rounds were within a 2 in group. then they started drifting to the left... realized the Torx screws on the mount were getting loose.  So I stopped the range session as the Match ammo was $1.50 a rnd. I feel like an idiot as I did not Lock Tite the screws on the mount....  Lesson learned, bring tool kit and Locktite things that I dont want to move.
All in all though, I still went to the range and put rnds down range, I can't complain to much So far the weapon has 128 rnds through it total. Still breaking her in...

By ncurk at 2012-01-04

By ncurk at 2012-01-04

By ncurk at 2012-01-04

By ncurk at 2012-01-04
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
My range bag has a full set of allen wrenches, metric and standard, as well as a 4-1 screwdriver and some jewlers screwdrivers. I've made the same mistake years ago and now people when I usually have any tool on hand to fix thier gun .

$20 at Big Lots or Harbor Freight can get you a solid range bag tool kit that dosen't matter if you forget a tool at the range.

Grats on the build
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel like an idiot about that, I have a complete set of tools at the house..... Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
did you read the instructions when installing the mount?

my LT-104s came with small vials of blue loctite. unless something's changed you're supposed to tighten the bottom ring screws FIRST, then the tops. something to consider when loctiting your screws...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
did you read the instructions when installing the mount?

my LT-104s came with small vials of blue loctite.

i just installed mine lt104 w/ mk 4 yesterday, mine did not come with any. so i had to buy some

unless i threw it out of course

EDIT: nice looking build by the way, man
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
hmmm
is it wolf vs remington, or 55g vs 69g that makes a diff in your groups?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
No Locktite with the mount and none at the house.

The barrel is 1/7 twist. It really likes the heavier bullet, but I think most of it was me. Not concentrating and doing my job with the wolf ammo. At 50 yards, it shouldnt matter that much.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
excellent looking rifle none the less, nice build
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet looking set up, whats the specs on that bad boy?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Had another thread on the build. Here
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Good old B & R! I love this range, big boy rules at it's finest.  Really decent prices and steal to boot, no rules on ammo either.  I really like your build, very nice looking rifle. You stationed at Cherry Point? By chance do you drive a white F-150 with BFL on back glass?  Haha, no I'm not stocking you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I do work at Cherry Point, but that isnt my truck. I be a sillyvillian.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Opening day of shotgun this year. I put a cantilevered barrel on my 1100 with a Burris scope. I sighted in with two boxes of Sabots and was looking great. The night before opening day I noticed that my rear scope thumb screw was loose and the scope was moving up and down a bit just in the rear. It was too late to get to the range and check zero so...I went with it the next day. Guess what happened? 9am, I see a nice buck about 60 yrds away, lined him up, fired and didn't see him. Figure brown down..nope, here he comes closer hopping broad side and stops about 40 yards away, bang, miss..then one more time, bang miss again, WTH.  I went back to the range the next day and found that I was now shooting 3 inches low at 50 yards and almost 5 inches low at 100. Live and learn, little 242 Locktite goes a long way.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top