Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:21 AM EDT
I just received my barrel and barrel nut from the FedEx guy today.

I have a noob question. How do I get the gas block off to get the barrel nut on? I dont want to mess up the pretty barrel.

I got the [Noveske 18 Lightweight Stainless Barrel] It has a gas block already installed. I figure I just need to take out the dowel pin and take out the set screw to get the gas block off? How do I ensure the gas block is back in the correct position when I re install it? Is there only one way for the it to go?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
well the dowel pins should set in two grooves in the bot of the brl.
these 'locate' the GB in place.

perhaps a email to the seller asking why bother to assemble them like this when they
must be broken up to install to the reciever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
on mine the dowel pin wasnt installed it was in a litle plastic baggy.

there is a small allen head set screw on the under side of the gas block. remove it and it should slide right off.

i think thats how mine did it
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The dowel pin will come right out with a punch and a few "solid" strikes with a hammer.  I speak from experience when I say make sure the gas block is held firmly in place with a vise or by some other means.  Otherwise you will beat on it all day and it won't budge.  I tried for hours with the vise block placed on a 2x4 and it didn't move at all.  After contacting Noveske they reccomended placing it in vise while driving out the pin.  I put it in the vise and it was rediculously easy to remove.  Clamp it against the top and bottom edges of the vise block with something underneath to keep it from sliding in the jaws when you strike it with the punch.  You don't have to clamp it all that tight, just enough to hold it in place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
on mine the dowel pin wasnt installed it was in a litle plastic baggy.

there is a small allen head set screw on the under side of the gas block. remove it and it should slide right off.

i think thats how mine did it

Yes mine is in a baggy also. I contacted the seller and requested that they remove it before shipping luckly they did. Rainier Arms rocks.

Now I just have to take out the set screw and remove the gas block , install my barrel nut, put the gas block on, put back set screw, and put back the dowel pin.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top